Magna Seating is an innovative leader in the development and manufacture of high quality complete seating systems, seat structure and mechanism solutions as well as foam & trim products for the global automotive industry. Our capabilities range from market and consumer research, full concept development, design and engineering, testing and validation to world-class manufacturing.
Responsible for the development and control of optimum weld settings in both the prototype and production process. Provide technical expertise to all of Magna Seating Global Structural plants while developing and maintaining Welding Guidelines and Standards for these operations. Pays periodic visits to all Magna Seating welding operations to ensure compliance to these guidelines and standards. Participates in advanced engineering workshops to develop improved products and processes with the aim of reducing operating costs and improving quality.
Works in cooperation with all departments to establish, utilize and improve processes and methods to produce products on the welding cells. Accurately collect, communicate, and analyze data about the production process. Work is directed towards minimizing downtime, improving throughput and insuring product quality in a safe environment. Work within interdisciplinary teams, or independently with minimal supervision as required. Maintain an organized, clean work area, and follow applicable maintenance schedules for equipment. Utilize established processes for material replenishment and time tracking. Stay current on technical revisions of the product. Conduct business in a respectful, professional manner. Involved in future development programs for MIG welding, including design reviews.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Stay current on new innovations in the field by reading and engaging in self-study of technical publications. Also learns through maintaining contact with outside weld experts to share information to improve skills in the field.
- Engage in training on new advancements in the field.
- Participate in department meetings and provide input and suggestions for improvement based on technical knowledge.
- Interact with other employees to exchange technical information to facilitate teamwork in troubleshooting and repair process.
- Responsible to protect own health and safety by working in compliance with established safe work practices and procedures.
- Reviews weld settings to make sure they are optimal for both the process and the product.
- Directs and coordinates technical personnel in performing inspections to ensure workers' compliance with established welding procedures, restrictions, and standards; in testing welds for conformance with national code requirements; or testing welding personnel for certification.
- May perform experimental welding to evaluate new equipment, techniques, and materials.
- Travel to global locations to evaluate processes for production readiness and have input into their development.
- Establishes welding procedures to guide production and welding personnel relating to specification restrictions, material processes and welding of critical joints.
- Has input into the Development of preventative maintenance plans.
- Compliance with all OSHA requirements.
- A Community College diploma in Welding and Robotics.
- 3 years previous experience in supporting MIG welding in a production environment.
- Advanced welding training would be an asset.
- Good communication skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Good understanding of robotics and robot capabilities.
- Hands on ability to set-up, de-bug and program robots for welding applications.
- Attention to detail is a must.
- Familiarity with GD&T and the impact from ‘heat affected zones’.
- Perform weld verifications via acid etch.
- Must be familiar with stamping attributes and how they affect welding.
- Must be familiar with weld tooling.
- Willing and able to travel internationally for extended periods.
Magna - 6 months ago
Through its various subsidiaries and divisions, Magna International makes just about everything needed to put together a motor vehicle....