About Dow Jones
Dow Jones is a provider of global business news and information services. Owned by media giant News Corp., the company publishes The Wall Street Journal and other newspapers, newswires, Web sites, newsletters, databases and magazines, as well as produces radio and television. Other well-known media properties from Dow Jones include Barron's, Dow Jones Newswires, MarketWatch.com, Factiva, AllThingsDigital.com and SmartMoney.
Under the supervision of the Press/Mail Foreman, a production assistant is expected to become competent in all aspects of the reelroom, mailroom, and plateroom operations, and other, specific duties in the pressroom. Reelroom duties include roll handling, roll preparation, paster make-up, reel stand operation, tension system settings, web leading and the sorting and weighing of waste newsprint.
Mailroom duties include:
· List preparation
· MCS programming
· Operation of labeling equipment, stackers, bundle strapping and wrapping machines, and conveyors.
· Also responsible for error bundle correction and proper dispatching of printed copies. Pressroom duties include web leading; cleaning of blankets, rollers, press parts and
systems; checking, spotting, mounting, and removing plates.
Plateroom duties include:
· The operation of PC-based imaging and press proof software applications
· Imaging and processing plates and verifying registration
· Checking plates to ensure both are free of defects as well as verifying printed copies for accuracy and quality
· Communicating with and monitoring pre-press communications via the orderwire for critical run time information and relaying information to management
· Operation of production information management system software (PDIMS) to record nightly run time data, such as film and plate lockup times, as well as tracking
· Assistance with cleaning and scheduled preventative maintenance of equipment and general housekeeping.
Transportation Work Includes:
· Using various printing devices to print reports, top wraps, and labels and creating circulation reports to distribute via hard copy and electronically.
· Preparation of postal reports.
· Additional duties may be assigned from time to time.
· Requires lifting, standing, bending, and physical activity throughout shift.
Dow Jones, Making Careers Newsworthy
At Dow Jones our Managers work to meet our equal opportunity and affirmative action objectives and our Employees help to foster a professional, welcoming and encouraging environment.
This company covers the news from Wall Street to Main Street. Dow Jones & Company is a leading provider of news and information with a...