DC Central Kitchen seeks a Production Cook to join our dynamic team and support our mission of “combating hunger and creating opportunity.” The Production cook position is responsible for working with the Executive Chef, Shift supervisors and culinary team in preparation and presentation of food delivered to our partner agencies.
Preparation of Food:
- Consult with supervisor on ingredients and foodstuffs needed for daily production.
- Assist with receiving & storage of deliveries.
- Set up kitchen for daily production.
- Assess food donations and adjust the menu accordingly.
- Prepare and cook food according to production sheets.
- Document daily menus on production sheets.
- Assist drivers with identifying meal components for delivery route
Cleaning & Sanitation:
- Adhere to all Servsafe/HACCP food protection & safety regulations
- Clean & sanitize all kitchen equipment before, during shift and at the end of each shift (including fridges, stoves, ovens and prep tables).
- Maintain cleanliness and organization of all food storage areas. (Dry, refrigerated and frozen)
Assess Incoming Prepared Food Donations :
- Evaluate prepared foods for quality, freshness, usability, and versatility according to the guidelines set out by the shift supervisor and DKO.
- Recommend prepared food for RTE, salad Prep, Breakfast Prep, and Healthy Returns where applicable.
Supervise Volunteers and Students :
- Set up prep area for volunteers and students, including vegetables, cans, etc. to be prepped, cutting boards, lexans, and other equipment.
- Work with station chefs to ensure maximum participation and fully engage volunteers in the hot food station.
- Happily engage volunteers during their visit
- Welcome volunteers at the hot food station, instruct them in their jobs, oversee their work, keeping an eye on safety and ingredient preparation requirement
- Become an ambassador of DC Central Kitchen to the volunteers, answering questions and encouraging participation in DCCK programs
- Other duties as assigned by shift supervisor and/or Director of Kitchen Operations
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Detailed knowledge of Restaurant/Catering/production operations.
- Must have the ability to exercise considerable judgment and discretion in establishing and maintaining good working relationships
- DC Central Kitchen Culinary Job Training Alumni preferred.
- High School Diploma, GED required
- Valid Serve Safe or similar food safety certification
- 1 year of high volume production required
- Ability to pass criminal background check and drug screen
- Ability to lift (30) lbs., walking, standing, bending for long periods
- Comfortable with strenuous activity