We are currently looking for an extremely detail-oriented, highly organized Production Editor to manage, copyedit, and provide quality control for electronic files accepted for publication. The Production Editor will work with a small, diverse team of editors and production personnel to execute the timely publication of articles.
The ideal candidate should have prior academic publishing experience, a keen interest in science, medicine, and publication ethics; be eager to apply strong computer skills, and able to work both independently and cooperatively in a team environment.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Coordinate the flow of articles through the Production workflow – schedule, track, and assign articles
- Work with authors, editors, contractors, and internal staff as necessary to complete tasks for publication
- Light copyedit and/or formatting of scientific articles
- Review and mark up proofs; organize and implement proof corrections
- Troubleshoot issues that arise during production and after publication, communicating with editor, author, vendor, or internal personnel as appropriate
- Act as production team’s point of contact for assigned journal(s)
- Perform final online quality check of articles in PDF and XML/HTML formats
- Assist with documentation and process improvement
Apply now | Return to top
- Advanced level of proficiency in Microsoft Word. Comfortable working knowledge of Explorer, Excel, and Outlook.
- Basic understanding of graphics software, Googledocs, Adobe PDF markup, and LaTeX.
- Background working with a content management system or a similar software-driven tracking system
- Possess a working knowledge of XML-based publishing
- Familiar with CSE and AMA styles
- Good organizational skills – strong ability to manage aggressive deadlines and coordinate multiple tasks
- Strong communication skills – interact professionally and diplomatically with authors and staff to resolve moderately complex issues
- Proven ability to work independently and proactively, and to establish and maintain position of trust among organization’s departments
The Public Library of Science (PLoS) - 20 months ago