Manages production staff in the operation and management of a service or test processing facility. Responsible for routine facility production operation, including adherence to quality assurance and GMP procedures. Sets and nurtures an ISO 9001 culture in understanding, communicating and meeting Customer processing requirements, operating in a multi-shift environment, and 24/7 on-call responsibilities. Responsible for training, scheduling, disciplining and developing production staff in order to meet and satisfy production requirements and ensure compliance with internal, Customers, regulatory procedures and protocols.
Essential Job Functions
1. Assists in the administration of current and new business activities by developing plans and strategies to meet Customer requirements and maximize profit; providing current or prospective Customers tours of the facility.
2. Monitors implementation of plans and strategies by collecting, analyzing and preparing reports for review by appropriate company management.
3. Meets Customer requirements by managing production operations according to established company policy; directs and coordinates all production activities within the plant; ensures quality Customer service by establishing, monitoring and maintaining production schedules; coordinating requirements with Plant Manager, sales, engineering, procurement, shipping/receiving, maintenance, quality functions and technology centers.
4. Establishes an organizational structure by assigning responsibilities, delegating authority and selecting, orienting and training direct reports.
5. Leads production staff by coaching, counseling, motivating and disciplining as needed; planning, monitoring and appraising job results; directing and maintaining activities designed to achieve and maintain high employee morale; fostering intra- and inter-department cooperation.
6. Achieves financial objectives by preparing production budget, scheduling expenditures, analyzing variances, compiling and studying costs and initiating corrective actions; requesting assistance from internal financial support as needed.
7. Maintains a safe, clean and secure working environment by establishing and enforcing procedures, rules and regulations; initiates fixed capital requests; monitors all safety and security systems and procedures on a regular basis; supports plant safety meetings that evaluate plant machinery, equipment and working conditions; assumes the role of back-up Radiation Safety Officer (RSO) as defined in the facility’s radioactive materials license (if applicable).
8. Ensures compliance with Corporate QSRC and GMP procedures by initiating and monitoring related training programs; monitoring production and scheduling activities on a daily basis; maintaining frequent contact with Production, Quality and Maintenance staff.
9. Strives for continuous improvement by analyzing new or alternative ways to improve operations; incorporating staff and operator suggestions into analysis; investigating process deviations and Customer complaints and recommending and/or implementing corrective action within area of responsibility; responding to audit activities in a constructive manner and using findings to improve operations where possible.
10. Ensures that all federal, state and local regulations pertaining to, but not limited to, radioactive materials, licensing compliance, safety, EPA, OSHA, FDA rules and regulations are adhered to. Must maintain a working knowledge of regulations and establish a monitoring program that responds to audit activity in a constructive manner.
11. Drives safe working behavior by demonstrating and promoting safe work performance, ensuring effective communications and recognitions, as well as identifying and anticipating safety training needs, and counseling and training employees.
12. Promotes and protects the company reputation by participating in and representing the company in local community activities.
13. Maintains professional skills, knowledge and abilities by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications and participating in professional societies.
14. Contributes in a team effort by performing according to the guidelines outlined in the STERIS Code of Business Conduct, the GMP and other directives; supporting the directives and decisions of higher level management and accomplishing other duties as assigned.
15. Communicates in an effective manner by utilizing accepted business practices in a courteous and professional manner providing timely and accurate responses and service oriented offers of assistance.
16. Provides protection to employees by promoting personal protection and issuing monitoring devices in hazardous areas as required by safety rules and laws.
17. Protects company confidential information by properly storing, retrieving and disseminating such information only to those authorized.
18. Supports the Isomedix business imperatives of Growth, Operational Excellence, Leadership Excellence and Customer Focus, by acting with integrity, treating everyone with mutual respect, exhibiting a genuine commitment to the success of all employees, and delivering satisfaction to our Customers through teamwork, innovation and continuous improvement; this will be accomplished while acting safely and is defined as "The STERIS Way."
19. Exhibits a commitment to the Isomedix shared values of Customer Satisfaction and Continuous Improvement through ensuring defect-free workmanship, assisting others to meet the customer’s needs, searching for efficient and effective ways to reduce waste, being active and accountable for customer satisfaction, and satisfying the customer’s needs with a sense of urgency.
Position primarily requires sitting, standing, talking, and walking in an office environment and stooping, climbing, standing, walking and talking in a processing environment. Nature of work requires depth perception, near- and far-sighted vision, normal color distinction, and normal finger dexterity. Environment includes working in close proximity to contained controlled ionizing radiation and/or controlled and contained toxic flammable gas (ethylene oxide) and other treatment/process chemicals of which further information is available through the facility’s Hazardous Communication Standard (Right to Know). Environment has potential for exposure to sub-protection levels of noise, heat, and humidity. Environment requires working near moving parts, machinery and gears. Hours of work exceed normal business hours, with occasional evening meetings with Customers and Sales Representatives. Requires conducting Customer and regulator tours, meetings and audits. Will require use of personal protection items as needed. Will require occasional day and overnight trips and infrequent extended overnight trips.
Bachelor Degree or an equivalent amount of education and experience preferred.
Experience Requirements (Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
1. A minimum of three (3) years of supervisory or managerial experience in an ISO and/or GMP related industry with strong Customer focus.
2. Ability to effectively read, write and verbally communicate in English.
3. Ability to work independently under general guidelines and supervision.
4. Requires computer literacy to include word processing, spreadsheet and relevant software applications capabilities.
5. Above average organizing, analyzing and a minimum of Level 3 math skills (ratios, proportions, basic algebra) to determine organizational Customer and regulatory problems to formulate corrective action plans.
6. Effective interpersonal skills as demonstrated through prior management experience.
7. Ability to adapt to changing duties and responsibilities.
8. Ability to influence people in their opinions, attitude or judgements; to generalize, evaluate and make decisions in stressful situations.
9. Normal hearing range sufficient to hear alarms, bells, horns, etc.
Direct: Up to ten (10) (e.g. Production, Warehouse and Production Planning staff)
Indirect: Up to seventy (70) (e.g. Operators, Material Handlers, Technicians)
Nature of Problem Solving
Determines needs and provides training for reports.
Makes complex integrated decisions utilizing multi-discipline knowledge and experience.
Seeks solutions to increasing efficiency of operations.
Empowerment and Decision Making Environment
Prepares and submits budget for department. Operates within approved budget.
Recommends and prepares capital equipment requests.
Develops and recommends departmental staffing requirements.
Resolves departmental employee issues.
Assists in resolving Customer service and quality issues.
Steris - 13 months ago
STERIS Corporation (STERIS), together with its subsidiaries, develops, manufactures, and markets infection prevention, contamination...