Johns Manville, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Plant Superintendent/Production Superintendent to be located in our Fernley, NV facility. Johns Manville is a leading manufacturer and marketer of premium-quality building products. The Fernley Plant manufactures Polyisocyanurate rigid foam insulation and has earned Star Certification with OSHA’s Voluntary Protection Program (VPP). JM has a long history of sustainable efforts and strives to continually improve our sustainability practices through a focus on innovation, productivity, and leadership that ensures we meet the needs of current stakeholders without sacrificing the needs of future generations. The Plant Superintendent has overall responsibility for the hiring and development of employees, the processes, the costs, and the quality of the roofing systems manufacturing line,
and the overall responsibility for managing continuous and efficient utilization of manufacturing resources to meet production, health, safety and environmental, and quality goals. Relocation assistance is provided for those eligable per our relocation policy.
- Supervise production, warehouse, and shipping personnel (15-30 employees).
- Effectively communicate with employees and management to drive continuous improvement.
- Plan and coordinate work and resources to utilize equipment and maintain maximum productivity levels.
- Utilize key operating indicators for control of product cost, material usage, machine downtime, expenditures, and other shift functions.
- Provide a flexible operating schedule to meet fluctuating customer demand.
- Continuously monitor safety processes and compliance; lead safety process/accident investigation for department, partnering with HS&E Manager.
- Coordinate work assignments/priorities with shift maintenance and engineering department.
- Prepare labor, material, and equipment usage reports and develop annual operating plans, budgets, and bill of materials.
- Participate in daily, weekly, and monthly communication meetings with plant staff.
- Develop bench strength analysis and development plans for direct reports.
- Provide team with constructive, effective feedback as needed; conduct performance reviews.
- Utilize and drive the principles of process improvements (Six Sigma, Lean and/or 5S).
- Develop cost out opportunities for the operation.
- Identify process improvements and develop capital plans and execute project with assistance from the Plant Engineer.
- Provide future bench strength for future Plant Management opportunities.
- Supervises hourly employees in a multi-shift manufacturing environment, including processing, packaging, curing, and warehouse operations.
- Maintains and improves employee morale.
- Responsible for maintenance planning and scheduling work order requests within departments and ensures production activities are in compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Support a comprehensive safety program to meet OSHA and company safety, health, and environmental requirements, conduct safety audits, model and drive safety training and behavior/awareness programs with the plant staff.
- Oversee quality programs to meet company and customer quality standards including ISO, quality training, quality audits and supervising quality processes in each stage of the manufacturing and product packaging process.
- Manage operations within budget; assist in preparation of budgets and standards for cost measurement.
- Develop and implement plans for new capital investment, cost reduction and equipment refurbishment; develop and administer material and labor usage controls.
- Supervise the production equipment maintenance program including evaluation of predictive maintenance data, scheduling and conducting preventive maintenance activities.
- Participate in plans to improve productivity, cost reduction, and energy conservation.
- Work with Purchasing, Engineering and Warehousing departments in maintaining services for the plant.
- Four-year college degree
- Experience working in continuous operations manufacturing environment.
- Supervisory experience required.
- Excellent interpersonal communication (written and verbal), teambuilding, facilitation, and demonstrated leadership skills required.
- Ability to achieve results independently but also through others.
- Ability to understand business financials and manage associated costs.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite of products
- Basic understanding of OSHA 30 and environmental regulations.
- Process trouble shooting experience.
- Ability to analyze data using statistics/Six Sigma principles.
- Experience with project management.
- Experience with product development and product launching.
Ability to climb stairs and access all areas of the plant.
Ability to work flexible schedule including nights and/or weekends if necessary.
Ability to work effectively in temperature extremes.
Ability to work effectively with a diverse workforce.
Ability to consistently make appropriate decisions with frequent interruptions.
Johns Manville (JM), a Berkshire Hathaway company, is a leading manufacturer and marketer of premium-quality insulation and commercial...