Department : Client Services
Reports to : Methodology Lead
Location : Portland, OR
Summary of Role
Interested in utilizing your technical knowledge to support some of Puppet's most important evangelists? Excited about what Puppet is doing and want to be a part of it? Puppet Labs is looking for an Professional Services Intern to help us build tools to test and demo Puppet code. You'll be helping us out with many different aspects of two projects: you'll be assisting in building a Continuous Integration environment used by Professional Services Engineers test custom code, and an automated demo-building environment that will create demos viewed at user conferences and presentations for thousands of interested users.
1. Willingness to operate "in the weeds" and demonstrate flexibility
2. Familiarity with Unix/Linux command line
3. Familiarity with package management systems
4. Able to use revision control (preferably git)
5. Strong communication skills
6. Familiarity with Puppet or strong system administration skills (Mac administration experience a plus)
7. Experience with testing methodologies (TDD/BDD) and/or spec testing languages (rspec) a plus
8. Experience configuring a Continuous Integration environment (Jenkins, Hudson, Maven, etc) is highly favorable
Please include a cover letter with your application describing how you feel your experience is a fit for the qualifications of this position. In addition, please answer the following questions:
1) Why are you interested in working for Puppet Labs?
2) Describe the technology stack of a project you worked on. What worked well? What would you change?
3) What's your favorite programming/scripting language and why? Compare/contrast it with the least favorite you've used.
4) Include a working piece of code, in any language or using any third-party tools, that does the following:
Please include instructions on how to run your program and the tests, as well as sample output from a run of your program
- Accepts a URL and a file path as arguments
- Downloads a text file from the specified URL and saves it to the specified path
- Reads the file looking for a line that matches "position = salesengineering-intern"
- If the line is not found, adds the line to the end of the file
- Include some basic tests to verify the behavior
Working for Puppet Labs
Based in Portland, Oregon, Puppet Labs creates IT automation software which enables system administrators to deliver the operational agility and efficiency of cloud computing at enterprise-class service levels, scaling from handfuls of nodes on-premise to tens of thousands in the cloud. Puppet powers thousands of companies, including Twitter, Yelp, eBay, Zynga, JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America, Google, Disney, Citrix, Oracle, and Viacom. Our investors include Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, True Ventures, Radar Partners, Emerson St. Partners, VMware, Google Ventures, and Cisco.
Everyone who works at Puppet Labs has a direct impact on the company. The work environment is relaxed yet results-driven, encouraging creativity and collaboration. The list of interesting and difficult challenges will always be larger than the time to tackle them, and the community culture fosters continuous improvement. Puppet employees embody our values, displaying curiosity, self-motivation, adaptability, and a passion for what Puppet is all about.
Puppet Labs employs staff in areas including Development, Professional Services, Operations Engineering, Solutions, Marketing, Sales, Finance, HR, and Administration. We offer awesome benefits and perks to our employees, including health insurance, flexible spending accounts, 401(k), paid time off, stock options, casual dress code, flexible work hours, free snacks & drinks, in-office bike rack, a dog-friendly work environment and much more.
Based in Portland, Oregon, Puppet Labs creates IT automation software which enables system administrators to deliver the operational agility...