Posting Number 20110139
Job Title Professional Tutor
Job Category Staff
Position Summary Information
Job Description Summary
Professional Tutors report to the Coordinator of the Writing Center and Learning Center. Professional Tutors provide support and guidance to students in a variety of coaching roles. Professional Tutors are active both in the classroom and in the Learning Center, interacting with students in both individual and group situations. All tutors are expected to pursue tutor certification through the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA). Professional tutors, as staff members, may be responsible for but are not limited to the following:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provide writing support services to students, faculty, and staff.
• Provide class specific tutoring for all SMC students.
• Maintain documentation of each tutoring session.
• Administer Learning Styles Assessments.
• Assist in recruiting, interviewing, and mentoring new peer tutors each semester
• Assist the Coordinator in developing and maintaining relationships with key faculty.
• Assist in presenting workshops and seminars each semester as part of CRLA documentation.
• Attend all trainings and staff meetings unless otherwise noted by the Coordinator.
• Achieve CRLA Level I accreditation within two semesters.
• Meet with the Coordinator 1-2 times each semester for review/evaluation.
• Present a professional demeanor at all times in both personality and dress.
Associate’s, Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree
• Basic material presented in college classes.
• Computer and office applications, particularly Microsoft Office and internet/intranet usage.
• Ability to work independently, use sensible judgment and make decisions.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to work well with individuals with diverse backgrounds.
• Ability to exchange information with students, staff and public.
• Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
Special Instructions to Applicants
- 23 months ago - save job