Program Assistant, Horn, East Africa & Zimbabwe / Caucasus, Central Asia, South Asia, Middle East and North Africa
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
IRC’s International Programs focus on various relief, rehabilitation, and development programs for refugees, internally displaced persons and those affected by conflict in different regions worldwide. Each region is managed by a regional team that oversees the region’s country programs, headed by a Regional Director (RD), Deputy RD for Operations, and Deputy RD for Programs, and supported by a Regional Program Officer (PO). These programs focus on different sectors, including health; water and sanitation; children and youth protection and development; protection; gender-based violence protection; economic development; civil society development; community-driven reconstruction; and refugee camp management.
The HEAZ* / CASAMENA** Program Assistant will be responsible for providing a range of assistance services in support of the programs in the designated regions, working closely with and reporting to the regional Program Officers. The position supports the HEAZ and CASAMENA regions, with time divided equally between the two, and with a dual reporting line to the regional Program Officers. The job also includes close collaboration with colleagues based in the field and in other HQ units and departments, including but not limited to Technical Units, Development, Human Resources and Finance staff, and some liaising with London and Washington offices, as needed. The position will be full-time for 9 months, expected to continue as a half-time position thereafter.
For both the HEAZ and CASAMENA regions, the Program Assistant will:
- Maintain detailed lists of the region’s active grants by country, including reporting deadlines, and alert colleagues as appropriate;
- Liaise with the Finance Department to process source code requests from the field and relay proper documentation back to the country programs;
- Assist in obtaining Delegations of Authority, Powers of Attorney, and other documents as needed to facilitate field office operations;
- Assist in providing coverage support when Program Manager is absent.
Internal and External Communications
- Assist the Program Officer and Program Manager to obtain and maintain updated summary information on the region’s country programs, and to help draft summaries as requested;
- Assist in maintaining up-to-date information for the region on the IRC’s intranet site.
- Perform office administrative tasks, such as photocopying, scanning, mailing, and filing;
- Assist with the organization of regional conferences and regional meetings;
- Assist in organizing logistics and meetings for field staff visiting HQ;
- Provide administrative support to consultants in the field and process payments;
- Work with IPD’s Administrative Assistant and field offices to ensure the region’s entries in the International Address Book are kept up to date.
- Research and be informed about programmatic issues, security and political developments in Horn & East Africa and Caucasus, Central Asia, South Asia, Middle East and North Africa countries;
- Participate in special projects as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (Education, Int’l Affairs, Social Work, etc.) - or equivalent;
- Minimum 1-2 years related non-profit and/or administrative work experience. Some field experience a plus, regional experience in particular;
- Proven writing and editing skills: the ability to draft memos & letters and edit reports and proposals;
- Solid organizational and administrative skills, with a proven ability to prioritize projects with attention to detail;
- Excellent Computer skills: MS Word, Excel, and database software.
- The ability to work independently and productively in a fast-paced environment – pro-activity and initiative to problem solve within the job parameters is essential;
*Horn, East Africa & Zimbabwe: Chad, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Uganda, Zimbabwe
**Caucasus, South Asia, Middle East and North Africa: Northern Caucasus, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestinian Territories, Yemen, Turkey
International Rescue Committee - 18 months ago
The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their...