Program Assistant will interact with individuals who
have persistent mental health problems in a homelike
setting. The candidate will follow the guidelines of an
approved Service plan and provide on-going programming
that is both instructional and supportive.
Responsibilities also include providing assistance and
training to the individuals you serve in the following
areas: personal care, communication, daily living, and
social skill development. Provide assistance in the
development of individualized programs.
1. Maintain confidentiality regarding client and
departmental information as per agency policy, DPW
regulations, Commcare and the Mental Health and
Mental Retardation Act of 1966.
2. Presents self in a courteous, respectful, honest
and ethical manner towards all individuals with who
he/she interacts as a representative of the agency.
3. Acts to ensure the safety of individuals, self and
staff at all times. Maintains a clean and
hazard-free environment. Responds immediately to
crisis situations such as accidents, aggressive
behaviors, illness seizures, etc. This includes the
use of such interventions as verbal management and
physical intervention techniques. Anticipates crisis
situations effectively using knowledge of
individuals' like, dislikes, stressors, and
4. Maintains and awareness of key factors affecting
individuals by communication with co-workers,
reading progress notes and effectively utilizing the
site communication log.
5. Responds to individuals' communication as expressed
in verbal and non-verbal behavior.
6. Effectively communicates with individuals in a
timely manner using verbal and non-verbal behaviors
which are appropriate to each person's ability to
7. Learns, implements, and documents each assigned
individuals program/treatment plan. Completes
incident reports and other documentation in
accordance with agency policies and procedures.
8. Supports individuals in learning a range of skills
related to personal care, daily living,
communication, mobility/travel, leisure/recreation,
social interaction and responsible decision making.
9. Provides opportunities for individuals to
participate in everyday recreational/Leisure
activities. Preferred activities are those which an
individual enjoys and which are neither segregated
nor of little interest to people without
disabilities. Enhances opportunities for individuals
to be included as an active participant in the
10. Provides a full range of assistance in performing
tasks related to individuals personal care, i.e.
bathing, grooming, shaving, dental care,
toileting/diaper changing, dressing, feeding and
11. Carries out a full range of household duties
including but not limited to: meal preparation -
routinely performs cutting, chopping, baking and
cooking. Used all kitchen appliances ( dishwasher,
disposal, etc.). Housekeeping - routinely performs
dusting, mopping, wiping, scrubbing, sweeping
actions which provide and/or assist with the general
upkeep of the residential lite. Laundry - assists
with and/or performs this task routinely. Lawn care
mowing and/or bagging of grass, leaves, and debris
- performs and/or assists with raking, weeding,
on the residential sites' property/grounds. Snow
removal - assists with emergency removal of
snow-covered pathways. General - other necessary
tasks such as grocery shopping and minor household
12. Transports or escorts individuals to appointments
13. Assists in overseeing that individuals receive
appropriate health care including the proper
procedures for administration of medication.
14. Stays informed of and monitors compliance with the
daily medical and nutritional needs of each
15. The above job functions are basic to the position,
not all inclusive. Verbal or written additions or
deletions may be made at the discretion of the
supervisor with that particular program.
16. Other duties as assigned.
- Must be 18 years per age or older.
- Must have High School Diploma/GED.
- Must have Valid PA Driver's License and access to an
field is strongly preferred.
- Six months experience in human services or related
Aiede, Mediation Administrations Safe Crisis
- Clear Criminal record and Clear Child Abuse history.
- Must attend mandatory trainings, such as CPR, First
Managerment and administer necessary techniques as
This position is on a Per Need basis, offering up to 40
hours per week. Hourly salary ranges from 9.00 to 9.50
per hour. Schedule is rotating.
Proud to be an EOE
Check us out online at www.NHSOnline.org or on Facebook
Req. Code : AFSCME
Shift/Hours : Rotating
Northwestern Human Services (operating as NHS Human Services) exists to lend a helping hand to humans throughout the Northeast. The...