Advancement Project’s Washington DC office seeks a Program Assistant to support its civil rights advocacy and litigation work.
Advancement Project is a next generation, multi-racial civil rights organization. We tackle inequity with innovative strategies and strong community alliances. With a national office in DC, and two offices in California, we combine law, communications, data-based research and policy advocacy to create workable solutions and achieve systemic change. We aim to inspire and strengthen movements that expand opportunity for all.
The Program Assistant will support staff across all of Advancement Project’s programs and initiatives. Current program areas include voter protection, ending the schoolhouse-to jailhouse-track, and quality education.
- Strong writing, communication and factual research skills, including editing, cite checking and ability to distill and present data.
- Intermediate to advanced computer and data entry skills, including familiarity with MS Word and basic Excel calculations.
- Enthusiasm for work in various program areas.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial justice and ability to work with communities of color.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, work under deadlines, and juggle multiple tasks/assignments.
- The ability to analyze legal and factual documents for accuracy.
- High level of motivation and initiative.
- Ability to work as a team.
- Comfort working with and analyzing numbers, including Census data.
- Experience tracking state and/or federal legislation.
- Experience submitting and/or tracking public records requests.
- Experience conducting and transcribing interviews.
- Experience using database management systems, such as Microsoft Access.
- Experience using graphic design software.
- Substantive experience working in any of Advancement Project’s program areas.
- Fluency in more than one language.
Deadline: Open until filled