The Open Society Foundations work to build vibrant and tolerant societies whose governments are accountable and open to the participation of all people.
We seek to strengthen the rule of law; respect for human rights, minorities, and a diversity of opinions; democratically elected governments; and a civil society that helps keep government power in check.
We help to shape public policies that assure greater fairness in political, legal, and economic systems and safeguard fundamental rights.
We implement initiatives to advance justice, education, public health, and independent media.
We build alliances across borders and continents on issues such as corruption and freedom of information.
Working in every part of the world, the Open Society Foundations place a high priority on protecting and improving the lives of people in marginalized communities.
The Public Health Program (PHP) aims to build societies committed to inclusion, human rights, and justice, in which health-related laws, policies, and practices are evidence-based and reflect these values. The PHP works to advance the health and human rights of marginalized people by building the capacity of civil society leaders and organizations, and by advocating for greater accountability and transparency in health policy and practice. PHP engages in five core strategies to advance its mission and goals: grant making, capacity building, advocacy, strategic convening, and mobilizing and leveraging funding.
The Public Health Program is seeking a Program Assistant to support its Sexual Health and Rights Project (SHARP). SHARP promotes human rights-based approaches to advancing the health of sex workers and transgender individuals. The project achieves this through grant-making, capacity building, direct advocacy, and fund leveraging. Underpinning all of SHARP’s work is the belief that those most affected by policies and programs should be the ones driving their design, implementation and evaluation. Its geographic mandate includes East and Southern Africa, Central and Eastern Europe (CEE), the former Soviet Union (fSU), and Southeast Asia (SEA).
Purpose of Position
Provide administrative and programmatic support to support assigned OSF initiatives. Work is carried out under general supervision.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. OSF may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
- Oversee administrative procedures for making organizational grants, including drafting docket memos, collecting relevant materials, reviewing proposal and budget documents, and communicating with grantees;
- Assist in the monitoring of grants by entering and maintaining grant information in Foundation Connect system, collecting reports, maintaining a database of SHARP grants in order to monitor progress and reporting, and answering administrative queries from grantees;
- Oversee administrative procedures for consultancy agreements, including drafting scopes of work, communicating with consultants, processing contracts, and making payments;
- Coordinate with the grants management, legal and finance departments as needed in order to ensure smooth and timely processing of grants, contracts, and payments;
- Manage the SHARP budget including tracking of all expenses from grants, budget allocations, administrative charges, and consultancy payments;
- Process and track payment requests and budget allocations;
- Provide administrative support including assistance in scheduling appointments and calls, and arranging travel and meetings, for SHARP Project Director and SHARP Program Officers;
- Organize logistics of meetings and workshops, including coordinating with conference organizers, arranging hotel accommodation, preparing materials, and taking minutes;
- Maintain and update working files and databases;
- Perform clerical duties, including: responding to incoming calls and requests from the general public; faxing and photocopying; preparing expense reports; and generally assist in program administration;
- Take notes and meeting minutes, and write meeting reports as needed.
- Coordinate with the Communications Department on publications, website updates, and project newsletters;
- Organize community speaking/ forum/ film events as needed;
- Send announcements through SHARP’s listserv;
- Maintain communications with a wide range of internal partners within OSI’s network and external partners, including SHARP’s Advisory Group, grantees, and allied organizations;
- Draft, proof, and edit correspondence as needed.
Education / Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university, and one to three years of relevant experience or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience and demonstrated interest in human rights preferred .
- Excellent written, verbal, organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent computer skills, proficient in Microsoft Office;
- Excellent listening and communication skills with sensitivity to cultural communication differences;
- Discretion and ability to handle confidential issues;
- High level of self-motivation and at ease working independently when necessary;
- Poised, works well under pressure and attentive to detail;
- Flexibility and willingness to work simultaneously on a wide range of tasks and projects and ability to prioritize tasks;
- Pleasant, diplomatic manner and disposition in interacting with senior management, co-workers and the general public;
- Ability to travel up to 10% as required.
Program Specific Requirements
- Interest in Public Health and Human Rights a plus.
- Interest in Sexual Rights and Gender a plus.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits package.
Please email resume and cover letter with salary requirements before May 17, 2013 to: firstname.lastname@example.org . Include job code in subject line: PA-SHARP.
Open Society Foundations - 7 months ago