Food Bank For New York City recognizes 30 years as the city's major hunger-relief organization working to end food poverty throughout the five boroughs. As one of the country's largest food banks, our mission is to end hunger in New York City by organizing food, information and support for community survival and dignity. As the city's hub for integrated food poverty assistance, the Food Bank tackles the hunger issue on three fronts — food distribution , income support and nutrition education — all strategically guided by its research .
Primary purpose of the position:
Provide programmatic and administrative support for Benefit Access' efforts to alleviate hunger in New York City by increasing access to the Food Stamp Program
Principle duties and responsibilities:
- Assisting with data management and report preparation;
- Managing messaging and communication with various partners, including members of the Food Stamp Task Force;
- Updating various unit materials and lists, and communicating these changes to relevant entities including the Human Resource Administration as needed;
- Providing support to monthly Food Stamp Task Force meetings, including creating sections of the monthly Research Packets and taking meeting minutes;
- Assisting management with outreach development strategies and monthly schedules;
- Assisting management with training logistics, including updating training materials and registering organizations for Food Stamp trainings;
- Providing general support for collaborative projects with outside agencies;
- Responding to requests for departmental information, and following-up with individuals regarding their requests for information;
- Assisting with data entry when needed;
- Participating in program strategy and development;
- Performing other assigned tasks as directed.
- B.A. Degree;
- 2 years work experience;
- Good knowledge of the Food Stamp Program required;
- Strong writing ability (writing sample to be provided upon request);
- Ability to manage multiple tasks at the same time, often under deadline pressure;
- Strong organization and communication skills;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher; PowerPoint a plus;
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) strongly preferred;
- Must be available to work some evenings and weekend hours, as needed.