The program director, Master of Science in Criminal Justice (MSCJ) will assist with program management, including:
The position requires a commitment to providing quality service by assimilating a large body of factual information and relating it to students in a caring, efficient, and consistent manner. The MSCJ program director must also have the ability to professionally represent Excelsior College within the academic community.
- Course scheduling
- Faculty screening and assignments
- Course and curriculum reviews
- Continued program growth
This is a faculty position where the emphasis is placed upon providing accurate, timely, and quality service to prospective and enrolled students at a distance. The program director will be well versed in criminal justice as well as all College options, learning opportunities, and services. Experience in public administration and/or public policy a plus.
The MSCJ Program Director reports to the Assistant Dean for Criminal Justice, Military and Special Projects within the School of Liberal Arts.
Other duties may be assigned.
Program management and oversight
Student Advisement and Facilitation of Learning
- Screen and hire faculty.
- Mentor faculty with online teaching and course development.
- Evaluate instructional faculty.
- Work with leadership to determine ways to grow the program.
- Assist marketing department in marketing the program.
- Jointly supervise graduate program staff consisting of the assistant director of graduate program and support staff.
Curriculum Development, Implementation, and Evaluation
- Work with enrollment management to help future students understand the MSCJ graduate program.
- Evaluate transcripts submitted for suitable transfer of credit.
- Review, evaluate, and make recommendations regarding applications for admission.
- Advise enrolled students concerning their program design, progress, and course selection.
- Monitor student progress through the program to assure degree completion.
- Provide accurate information about institutional policies, procedures, resources and programs.
College and School of Liberal Arts Responsibilities
- Develop courses, assessments, and guided learning activities and materials.
- Implement, evaluate and revise courses, assessments, and guided learning activities and materials.
- Establish levels of reliability and validity of assessment instruments and periodically evaluate same.
- Work collaboratively with College staff and faculty to resolve policy or curricular issues.
- Chair/participate in faculty committees.
Professional Development and Community Involvement
- Participate in the School of Liberal Arts and College-wide committees and activities.
- Collaborate with other units for the provision of student services.
- Participate in activities supportive of the College's strategic plan and the goals of the School of Liberal Arts.
- Represent the College at professional meetings and forums.
- Participate in marketing and outreach activities to assure continued growth of the MSCJ program.
- Participate in quality improvement and customer satisfaction activities.
Qualifications Required Qualifications
- Participate in activities in service to the advancement of interdisciplinary studies.
- Participate in continuing education and professional development activities.
Minimum Qualifications include:
- PhD in a criminal justice or a closely related discipline from a regionally accredited institution.
- Online teaching experience.
- Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint) experience.
- Interdisciplinary background and experience in public administration and/or public policy a plus.
- Experience in higher education in an advising or teaching capacity required; experience with adult learners desirable.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent organizational skills the ability to communicate clearly and concisely.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
Excelsior College offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes paid time off, retirement, and excellent health insurance. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application, resume, salary history, and the names of three professional references. Please submit requested information online , or by mail:
- Familiarity with Blackboard preferred.
- Online course development experience preferred.
- Familiarity with Lotus Notes and Dreamweaver a plus.
Human Resources Office
Program Director, MSCJ Search
7 Columbia Circle
Albany, New York 12203-5159
Founded as Regents College in 1971 and chartered as a private, nonprofit institution in 1998, the College was renamed Excelsior College in...