The Mississippi Center for Justice - Sunflower County United for Children
The Mississippi Center for Justice (MCJ) is currently seeking a Program Director (PD) to support the work of Sunflower County United for Children (SCUC). SCUC is a partnership of community contributors working together to create equitable opportunities and improved systems in Sunflower County where all children and families can thrive. MCJ serves as the fiscal agent and anchor organization for the implementation of countywide strategies developed under SCUC. The PD will be a full-time employee of the Center located in Indianola, MS.
MCJ is a nonprofit, public interest law firm committed to advancing racial and economic justice statewide. Our lawyers work with community leaders to support their social justice campaigns and to channel the energies of the legal community to combat discrimination and poverty. With three offices throughout the state, we seek systemic solutions that promote educational opportunity, protect the rights of consumers, secure access to healthcare and child care, and put affordable housing within the reach of all Mississippians.
The Program Director (PD) will play a central role in the development, coordination, implementation, and management of strategies and activities to support SCUC. The PD works independently and collaboratively with the SCUC partners to plan, manage, and implement activities in the following areas: neighborhood viability, education, health, economic security, and community engagement.
WORK DUTIES MAY INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Provide overall project management, including developing and managing timelines, leading project planning, and coordinating deliverables in collaboration with external partners
- Monitor and implement strategies/activities to ensure achievement of outcomes and completion of grant and/or contract deliverables
- Research, identify, and help secure funding and other resources through bid, proposal, or contribution to support the SCUC work in Sunflower County
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with community leaders, decision makers, and other key stakeholders.
- Conduct ongoing engagement to ensure direct community input from Sunflower County residents to determine priorities, needs, and appropriate strategies.
- Research and monitor legislation and other public policies that impact or potentially affect Sunflower County.
- Assist with development of publications, grant applications, and program reporting through collaborative writing and editing.
- Prepare and submit required reporting consistent with grant/contract requirements.
- Develop and effectively manage program timelines to ensure timely completion of program deliverables, and develop and disseminate programmatic and marketing materials.
- Manage and coordinate programmatic meetings including managing logistical contractors.
- Develop PowerPoint presentations, brochures or other materials for use during program-related activities and for presentation at professional conferences.
- Serve as the primary point of contact and liaison for the partners of SCUC.
EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS & CONDITIONS
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Master’s degree in public policy, community development, or related field with a minimum of ten (10) years of professional program management experience required, preferably working on community-based initiatives.
- Ability to work with diverse individuals and groups on complex community issues
- Experience with community-based collaborations and with non-profit organizations
- Familiarity with community issues and political context in the state of MS
- Knowledge of and/or experience with community capacity building
- Strong communication skills; both written and verbal
- Experience in resource development and fundraising
- Strong understanding of grants and program management
- Demonstrated professional and political aptitude
- Knowledge of Mississippi’s history, culture, and geography are a plus
- Effectiveness in utilizing racial equity, collaborative leadership, and community engagement approaches
- Skilled in use of basic computer software and applications to include MS Word, Excel, Power Point, Access, internet research, data entry
SALARY RANGE & BENEFITS: Salary will be commensurate with experience. Paid vacation and sick leave provided. The Center’s benefit package includes medical, life and dental insurance. Please note that this position is based on a two-year pending grant (November 2013 to October 2015) and is contingent upon available funding.
JOB LOCATION: The SCUC Program Director position is based out of the MCJ Indianola office however candidates will be considered that live within the MS Delta.
TRAVEL: Domestic travel is required for this full-time position. Estimated In-State travel: 30% annually and estimated Out-of-State travel will be approximately 10%.
ESTIMATED START DATE: November 4, 2013
HOW TO APPLY: Please send a resume and cover letter through this website or by U. S. Mail to: Kimberly Jones Merchant, Mississippi Center for Justice, Post Office Box 191, Indianola, MS 38751