Turnaround for Children, Inc. (Turnaround) works to transform low-performing, high-poverty public schools and bring about dramatically improved academic and life outcomes for their students. Through work in over 60 schools since 2002, Turnaround has developed a model to equip schools to address the recurring and predictable barriers to learning and healthy youth development that arise from the circumstances of poverty.
Turnaround partners with schools and districts to build capacity and staff proficiency in schools serving high-poverty communities, in order to optimize performance and drive improvement in student behavior and academics. Currently, Turnaround is working in partnership with 20 high-poverty, persistently low-achieving public schools in New York City and Washington DC.
With a central office in midtown Manhattan, Turnaround expects to continue to grow and add programs in the region.
Turnaround for Children is currently seeking dynamic and committed professionals to serve as Program Directors. The Program Director is responsible for leading a school-wide change process in up to four schools through the effective implementation of TFC’s model. This requires a close collaboration with each school’s leadership and highly effective management of TFC field staff. Program Directors model a unique set of implementation strategies and provide consultation and coaching to school leaders to promote the use these strategies in future school improvement initiatives.
• Direct and manage Turnaround’s 3-4 year engagement in cohorts of up to four schools; provide direct consultation and coaching to the schools’ leadership on the roll-out of Turnaround’s program in the buildings.
• Secure deep buy-in for Turnaround’s work by cultivating strong relationships with the student support staff, teachers, and leadership at each assigned school, building trust and partnership, and ensuring sustainability
• Communicate project expectations and progress to team members and stakeholders (school and district staff, other partners in the building, Turnaround’s central staff, and external funders and supporters) in a timely and clear fashion
• For each assigned school, lead the creation, implementation, and regular monitoring of an Annual Work Plan that is faithful to Turnaround’s model and sensitive to the unique characteristics and priorities of each school; create and maintain project plans and timelines; track progress against milestones and deliverables
• Oversee and manage the team of Turnaround staff at each school ensuring each team is delivering the highest quality results; coach, mentor, motivate and supervise assigned field team members, Instructional Coaches and Social Work Consultants, and influence them to take positive action and accountability for their assigned work
• Trouble-shoot barriers to program delivery and implementation across sites
• Contribute to the ongoing development of Turnaround’s program, including best practices and tools for program execution and management
• Significant leadership experience as a principal, assistant principal, or equivalent role required, preferably in an urban, low-income environment
• Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills; proven strength as an influencer of others and as a relationship-builder across multiple constituent groups; ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of people and personality types to effect the desired outcomes
• Outstanding organizational and execution skills with a significant history of successful project and talent management
• Ability to operate within a defined system or model, yet demonstrate appropriate problem-solving skills and creativity
• Experience leading an organizational change process, preferably in a school context
• Strong instructional leadership experience including supervision and coaching of instructional staff members
• Demonstrated commitment to and experience with behavioral and social-emotional student support systems
• Proven ability to anticipate challenges and present a calm demeanor in high- pressure situations
• Facility with technology and basic software applications (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite, databases)
• Strong commitment to the work and mission of Turnaround, and a desire to learn and grow through this opportunity
• Master’s Degree in Education strongly preferred
Commensurate with Experience
Posting Expiration Date:
Bridgestar - 7 months ago