This position is a Washington Management Service (WMS) Band 3 employment opportunity.
The Budget, Performance and Research Division’s Labor Market and Economic Analysis (LMEA) branch:
This position is located within LMEA and manages the program evaluation and analysis staff. The Program Evaluation and Analysis Manager significantly impacts the agency’s mission insofar as its responsibilities support all four of the goals in the agency's strategic plan:
- Collects and produces data, leads the labor market analysis and provides critical insights so employers, job seekers, lawmakers, the Employment Security Department (ESD) itself and other customers can make better-informed decisions; and
- Conducts research and evaluation of complex program- and policy-related questions.
The Program Evaluation and Analysis Manager is primarily responsible for the research and evaluation of complex program- and policy-related questions. These functions include survey design and administration, research and analysis supporting program evaluation and other legislatively mandated reports, and industry and occupational projections.
- Support economic stability through just and timely tax and benefit systems.
- Contribute to an effective workforce system by strengthening state and community partnerships and delivering a prepared and stable workforce.
- Support Washington's economy by providing excellent service and information to internal and external customers to assist in making data-driven decisions.
- Value, develop and support employees to increase effectiveness.
Manage and coordinate functions of the program evaluation and analysis staff, which include the following functions:
- Develop and conduct formal studies and evaluations to inform internal and external policymakers, with an emphasis on state-of-the-art research methodologies.
- Develop and conduct one-time and regular analyses of agency programs, focused both on program operations and longer-term outcomes.
- Develop and administer surveys using established methods to evaluate economic and workforce programs and services, within the agency, statewide and nationwide.
- Develop annual state industry and occupational employment and wage projections.
- Provide timely, understandable and accurate responses to internal and external inquires requiring legal, policy and data analysis.
- Analyze state and federal legislation with potential impacts on state economic and workforce programs and services.
- Develop sound, state-of-the-art methodologies and ensure that research and analysis are conducted in accordance with those methodologies.
- An advanced degree in economics, social sciences, public administration or a related field.
- Extensive knowledge of statistical theory and techniques.
- Extensive knowledge of estimation and forecast techniques.
- Knowledge of state and federal economic and workforce programs and services.
- Ability to rapidly identify, synthesize, and communicate a wide range of information from a variety of sources, perspectives, and formats.
- Ability to produce a high-volume of quality written documents and oral presentations rapidly and effectively.
- Ability to continuously adjust assignments and personal deadlines to a rapidly changing set of departmental and external priorities and deadlines, and work on a diverse range of projects simultaneously.
- Strong research, writing, analytical, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
Attach a cover letter and resume to your on-line application (either through the Text Resume / Edit Resume field or the Add Attachment(s) field).
For inquiries about this opportunity, please contact the Recruitment Team at 360-725-9400 or
Individuals with disabilities needing assistance in the application process or needing this job announcement in an alternate format should provide their contact information
Employment Security Department is an equal-opportunity employer and provider of employment and training services. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. Washington Relay Service–711.