This position is responsible for managing and providing administrative oversight for The Horizon Foundation for New Jersey. The Program Officer will be responsible for building the Foundations public image by cultivating strategic relationships with charitable organizations by identifying grant-making opportunities to advance its mission and to improve the quality of life in communities across the state.1.Evaluates all grant proposals and requests.
2.Conducts site visits to assess programs and organizations funded by the Foundation.
3.Makes recommendations to fund or decline a grant request.
4.Prepares written analysis, summaries, and grant recommendations for presentations to the Foundations Board of Directors.
5.Monitors and evaluates all grantees regarding their performance execution related to Foundation objectives.
6.Develops relationships with philanthropic, government, business, and nonprofit organizations serving New Jersey to identify funding opportunities.
7.Prepares quarterly Board Book and other Foundation materials for distribution to the Foundation Board of Directors.
8.Assists in grants planning and budget forecasting for staff use and Board review.
9.Refines Foundation giving strategy and guidelines as appropriate.
10.Serves as the Foundations representative at external events and meetings.
11.Produces the annual Corporate Citizenship report.
12.Performs other duties as assigned by management.
Core Individual Contributor Competencies
Personal and professional attributes that are critical to successful performance for Individual Contributors:
Additional licensing, certifications, registrations
- Requires a bachelors degree.
- Requires a minimum of seven (7) years of foundation or community affairs experience.
- Proven experience in collaborating and partnering with external organizations.
Skills and Abilities
- Must be proficient and possess advanced skills in the use of personal computers and supporting software in a Windows based environment, including MS Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Lotus Notes; Should be knowledgeable in the use of intranet and internet applications.
- Knowledge of foundation and community affairs programs.
- Deep understanding of philanthropy and a general understanding of the subject areas supported by the Foundation.
- Knowledge of the nonprofit landscape throughout New Jersey.
Travel (If Applicable)
- Analytical and problem-solving
- Financial aptitude
- Ability to handle complex situations, including expectation management and political navigation