Organization: Birmingham Zoo, Inc.
Location: Birmingham, Alabama, United States
Job or Internship: Job
The Birmingham Zoo is currently seeking a full-time zookeeper for the Programs Department. Responsibilities include the daily inspection, feeding, cleaning, training, enrichment, medicating and maintenance of the animals in the Programs Department. The Programs collection includes mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians and invertebrates.
In addition to husbandry duties, Programs keepers will conduct interpretive programming, including participating and conducting on-grounds animal presentations, Zoo to You off-ground events, special marketing events, birthday parties, and summer wildlife shows. Keeper will be expected to interact and interpret with visitors in a positive manner. Strong public presentation skills while working with live animals is preferred.
Birmingham Zoo, Inc. is an EOE and drug-free work place. Must be able to obtain a valid Alabama State Drivers license within 30 days of hire. To apply, please download the Zoo's employment application. Send completed application with a cover letter and resume to: Andy Schertz, Supervisor-Program Animals, Birmingham Zoo, Inc. 2630 Cahaba Road, Birmingham, AL 35223 or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Programs Keeper Position" as the subject.
- Candidates must possess good communication, observational, and organizational skills and the ability to work well with others in a team environment. Must possess good public speaking skills.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds and perform duties in extreme weather.
- Biology-related degree and/or animal care experience is preferred, experience in theater or related public speaking field a plus.
- Prior animal training experience using operant and classical conditioning.
- Must have a minimum of 2 years zookeeper experience.
Association of Zoos and Aquariums - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard