The Project Director is the key staff leader for the Clinical Pharmacy HIV Research Group. The Group’s largest study is The Women’s Interagency HIV Study (WIHS) is funded by the National Institutes of Health and is a collaborative, multi-center, longitudinal study designed to comprehensively investigate the natural history and progression of HIV infection in women.
The Northern California consortium is made up of four institutions: UCSF and SFGH in San Francisco, Summit Medical Center’s East Bay AIDS Center in Oakland, and Alameda Medical Center’s Highland Hospital in Oakland. A total of 500 HIV-infected women and 180 HIV-uninfected high-risk women are enrolled in the Northern California WIHS.
In addition to the core study, study participants may also be enrolled in a number of sub-studies associated with the WIHS. Participants are seen for the core study twice a year and for sub-studies according to the individual protocols. Study visits for the core study consist of a comprehensive interview covering participant’s medical history and health care utilization, psychosocial status, substance abuse history and sexual behavior. Blood is drawn for immediate testing and for repository. Participants also undergo a medical exam and tissue collection.
Besides WIHS, the group has additional studies, often funded by NIH, including studies of innovative pharmacological methods, independent but WIHS linked studies, which may involve subcontracts from other institutions.
The MSP serves as the Project Director for the WIHS (WIHS PD) and the research consortium. Duties include general operational oversight of all projects. More specifically, the PD’s duties include; participation in NIH meetings, conference calls and working groups. S/he will participation in study leadership meetings with the PIs and Associate PI and other senior staff and investigators and oversight (with the PIs) of the fiscal management of the projects (including grant preparation, fiscal close outs, and carry forward requests, monitoring fiscal expenditures and budget status reports for the WIHS core, sub-contracts, petty cash operations and other subject compensations).
• BA/BS with a major in a related field and seven years of experience in administrative analysis or operations research; or an equivalent combination of education and experience;.
• Five to ten years of experience in the development of survey instruments and implementation of clinical and epidemiologic research protocols including quality assurance.
• Five to ten years supervisory experience.
• Demonstrated skill in pre- and/or post-award research administration functions. Ability to interpret and apply policies and/or regulations (e.g., indirect cost, federal cost principles, contract and grant policies, etc.
• Knowledge of and demonstrated skills in human subjects review procedures.
• Ability to perform technical writing and work independently.
• In-depth knowledge of research administration policies and procedure.
• Superior analytical, interpersonal, communication (verbal and written), organizational and problem-solving skills. Ability to analyze complex and non-routine issues requiring innovative solutions.
• Ability to be self-directed and handle multiple projects simultaneously and be able to set priorities that reflect the relative importance of each job responsibility. Ability to operate effectively in a changing environment.
• Excellent supervisory skills, ability to mentor new supervisors.
• Proficiency in MS Office Programs.
Note: Fingerprinting and background check required.
Physical Demands: requires sitting; standing; walking; squatting; bending; waist twisting; kneeling; crawling; climbing stairs; reaching up to shoulder height; reaching above shoulder level; carrying/lifting 20 pounds; pushing/pulling up to 21-30 pounds; gripping/grasping, fine/gross finger manipulation; repetitive movements of upper and lower extremities; verbal communication.
• Master's degree in sciences or administration and 5 to 10 years’ experience in clinical/translational study management.
• Supervisory experience with research clinicians, research staff and/or data managers.
• Experience managing multisite studies.
UCSF is a leading university that consistently defines health care worldwide by conducting advanced biomedical research, educating graduate...