The Vera Institute of Justice, founded in 1961, is a private, nonprofit organization that combines expertise in research, demonstration projects, and technical assistance to help leaders in government and civil society improve the systems people rely on for justice and safety. Vera has offices in New York City, Washington, DC, Los Angeles, and New Orleans, and its projects and reform initiatives, typically conducted in partnership with local, state, or national officials, are located across the United States and around the world. Vera is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to diversity in the workplace.
The Center on Sentencing and Corrections (CSC) has staff in all four of Vera’s offices. CSC currently has nearly a dozen active projects spanning sentencing and correctional practice reform, including projects focused on higher education for prisoners, segregation reduction, pretrial reform, reductions in prison and jail populations, justice reinvestment, and comparative prison practices.
CSC is currently seeking an experienced, senior professional to work in either New York City or Washington who would direct one or more of its major projects.
The responsibilities of the position will include:
• Managing projects, including budget and time management, and supervising staff in those projects;
• Participating in fund-raising for projects, including building and maintaining relationships with funders; researching and developing funding opportunities; and writing proposals and managing their completion and submission;
• Mentoring junior staff and heading individual and group meetings;
• Planning, arranging and delivering staff training and development opportunities;
• Planning, researching and writing reports, memoranda, and briefs;
• Representing CSC at national meetings with our NGO and government partners; and
• Providing technical assistance to our partners in the field, including both on-site and from the office.
Candidates for the position must possess the following:
• Advanced degree in law, criminal justice, government, or a related field, with seven to ten years of relevant experience in government or public policy development, preferably in a criminal justice-related area;
• Administrative experience, including budget development and management, personnel management, and working with funders and important government partners;
• Excellent research and written and oral communication skills;
• Ability to work independently and as a member of several different work teams;
• Ability and willingness to travel frequently;
• Ability to work under time pressure and other stresses that make collegiality of critical importance;
• Strong interest in social justice for underserved populations;
• Excellent strategic, problem-solving, and analytic skills; and
• Experience and comfort with social science and/or legal research.
Commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits provided.
Please submit a cover letter and resume. Online submission in PDF format is preferred.
However, if necessary, materials may be mailed or faxed to:
ATTN: Human Resources / CSC Project Director Recruitment
Vera Institute of Justice
233 Broadway, 12th Floor
New York, NY 10279
Fax: (212) 941-9407
Please use only one method of submission (online, mail, or fax).
No phone calls, please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
The Vera Institute of Justice values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information about Vera and its work in New Orleans, please visit www.vera.org.
Vera Institute of Justice - 16 months ago
copy to clipboard