The Project Manager is responsible for managing projects from concept through deployment. The successful Project Manager will work cross-functionally with IT groups, business partners, suppliers, and other teams to ensure successful completion of projects. Project Managers may work on one or several projects concurrently, depending upon the size and complexity of each. The projects will be delivered in accordance with established standards and best practices.
Success for the Project Manager role is measured by:
- Consistently delivering projects on time, within scope, and within budget
- Following project management guidelines
- Effectively managing risks and issues; finding workable options and solutions
- Proactively communicating to stakeholders
- A positive and collaborative style
While the Project Manager will not have direct reports, he/she will be required to direct, influence, and track the activities and tasks of project team members.
- Develops project charters, objectives, plans, and schedules that support business needs
- Estimates, negotiates, and obtains human, software, hardware, and financial resources to meet project requirements
- Manages and monitors project schedules, scope, progress, and costs to ensure projects are completed on time, within scope, and within budget
- Manages issues and risks affecting the program or project. Collaboratively works with key constituents to resolve issues and develop workable solutions and recommendations
- Communicates project status to participants and stakeholders accurately and on time
- Develops and/or reviews project business cases
- Develops and/or reviews business requirement and specifications
- Develops and/or reviews test plans
- Develops and/or reviews implementation plans
- Ensures that all program and project documentation is completed accurately and on time
- Coordinates and/or supports negotiations with third-party vendors
- Works to continuously improve project management processes, methods, templates, etc.
- Complies with and supports all corporate, department, and unit policies and procedures
- Works in partnership with other members of the IT leadership team, putting business results ahead of individual or team pursuits.
- EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) from a four-year college or university; preference for degrees in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or Business.
- 5+ years of IT project management experience
- Prior experience managing both large and small projects
- Prior experience managing multiple projects concurrently
- Insurance industry experience strongly preferred
- Experience with Project Management methods, processes, tools, and deliverables
- Knowledgeable and/or experienced in Waterfall and Agile development methodologies
- Experienced working with multi-party, multi-function project teams
- Experienced with custom, package, and software-as-a-service project implementations
- Experienced tracking and reporting project metrics
- WORK STYLE:
- Strong organizational skills, detail-oriented; ability to multi-task
- Ability to adapt to changes in the work environment, manage competing demands, and deal with change, delays, or unexpected events
- Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; gather and analyze information skillfully
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers; can effectively translate business needs to technology requirements
- LANGUAGE & COMMUNICATIONS:
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations
- Ability to develop executive briefings and effectively communicate IT concepts to senior executives
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public
- MATH ABILITY:
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations
- REASONING ABILITY:
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables
- COMPUTER SKILL: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft word processing software; Microsoft spreadsheet software, Microsoft presentation software, and be proficient on applicable databases, systems, and vendor software programs.
- CERTIFICATIONS: Project Management Professional (PMP) is preferred.
COMPREHENSIVE BENEFITS PACKAGE:
- Disability and AD&D
- Retirement & Savings Plan with 100% employer match up to 5% of salary
- Education Assistance Reimbursement
- Paid Vacation and Holidays
The Berkshire Hathaway Homestate Companies (BHHC) is a group of six insurance companies that are part of the Berkshire Hathaway Insurance Group, headquartered in Omaha, Nebraska. Our Workers Compensation Division provides premier workers compensation insurance coverage to employers across the country, with offices in San Francisco, San Diego, Pasadena, Omaha, St. Louis, Atlanta, and Dallas.
As a member of the Berkshire Hathaway insurance group, BHHC has earned an enviable record of success in the insurance industry that is supported by an A++ A.M. Best rating, the highest rating they award insurance carriers. Our corporate size enables our organization to react swiftly and effectively to opportunities in the insurance marketplace. At the same time, our financial strength provides our agents and insureds the security rarely available in a regional specialty carrier.
We value each individual and recognize that attracting and retaining high quality talent is essential to the success of our company. Our structure minimizes bureaucracy and creates an environment that encourages our employees to see the direct effects of their hard work throughout the company. Each division provides hands on training and maintains a small company feel, creating an atmosphere in which 'team players' thrive.
BHHC - 13 months ago