"First-Class City, First-Class Service"
The Water Reclamation Plant (WRP), as a division of the Public Works Department within the City of Rochester, Minnesota (population 106,000), is nationally recognized for its energy management initiatives. WRP is a continuously operated facility that runs a High Purity Oxygen Plant, rated at 19.1 million gallons per day, and an Aeration Basin Complex Plant, rated at 4.5 million gallons per day, parallel on the same site. The plant treats approximately 14 million gallons of wastewater per day, annually recovers over $850,000 in energy, and recycles over $650,000.00 worth of Biosolids per year.
Click here for more WRP information
Nature of Work:
The Project Manager position is an administrative position whose primary responsibility is to coordinate plant maintenance activities. This position ensures that the maintenance and repairs of a 400 million dollar facility, including plant buildings, equipment, structures, and grounds, are completed efficiently and effectively. This Project Manager also directs the activities of the Electrical and Mechanical Maintenance Supervisor and coordinates plant activities with the Environmental Regulatory Affairs Coordinator, Laboratory Manager, and the Process Control Supervisor and is responsible for initiating and managing plant projects including interfacing with engineering firms, contractors, and project management.
The Rochester Reclamation Plant is listed by the Department of Energy as a combined heat/power facility, recovering over $800,000 in energy costs per year. It is recognized as one of the leading energy-efficient plants in the region and nationally.
Starting salary $79,552.00 to $93,589.00 depending on qualifications, with advancement to $116,987.00.
APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL THE POSITION IS FILLED, WITH PRIORITY GIVEN TO APPLICATIONS RECEIVED BY FEBRUARY 3, 2013.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Performs other duties as assigned or necessary.
- Project Management - Researches, initiates and directs multiple, complex plant engineering projects (in-house and plant expansion) while ensuring needed resources are available. Proposes and prepares cost analysis reports for multi-million dollar plant projects including personnel requirements with consideration given to plant process impacts.
- Coordinates all communication to and activities of outside contractors and plant personnel to ensure efficient operations.
- Oversees Computer Maintenance Management System (CMMS) - Develops and updates the CMMS and uses it to manage inventory and equipment by generating work orders, preventative maintenance tasks, and purchase orders.
- Prepares work assignments and prioritizes work for the Electrical and Mechanical Maintenance Supervisor while coordinating work with plant operations and the laboratory.
- Coordinates the design activities (plant equipment and facility) completed by consulting engineers and construction activities performed by contractors.
- Assists with the coordination of the application of Biosolids.
- Represents the City of Rochester and the Water Reclamation Plant at meetings, conferences, events, and with contractors or other external parties as assigned. Assumes additional responsibilities in the absence of the Plant Manager .
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in chemical, civil, environmental, mechanical, or sanitary engineering, or in a physical or biological science; AND at least seven (7) years of progressive experience in the operations, maintenance or design of wastewater treatment facilities.
Master's degree from an accredited institution in chemical, civil, environmental, mechanical, or sanitary engineering, or in a physical or biological science; AND at least three (3) years of progressive experience in the operations, maintenance or design of wastewater treatment facilities.
Licenses and/or Certifications
Valid Driver's License
Certification as a MN Class B Wastewater Treatment Facility Operator within 18 months of hire
Minnesota Type IV Biosolids Operator License for Land Application
Proficiency in the use of personal computers including Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook, and databases.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Knowledge of: principles, practices, and equipment used in Wastewater Treatment and pumping operations; innovative Wastewater technologies; energy management practices and theories; local, state, and federal regulations governing wastewater treatment facilities; effective principles, methods, and techniques in leading, directing, training, and communicating with internal personnel.
Skill in: directing internal personnel and external contractors on projects; articulating details of plant projects to appropriate parties; providing expertise on plant projects to higher level management; working effectively in a team based environment.
Ability to: prepare budgets for complex projects; use Microsoft office products including but not limited to Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access; develop procedures and programs for managing plant equipment, preparing work orders, conducting inventory and purchasing parts; recognize work project/process priorities and provide direction to other staff accordingly; communicate effectively orally and in writing; establish and maintain positive working relationships with internal employees and external contractors.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CRITERIA
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the following represents the physical and environmental demands for this position. The employee must be able to perform the essential functions with or without accommodation.
The employee is occasionally exposed to work near moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles and outdoor weather conditions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit and talk or hear.
The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; climb or balance and taste or smell.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.