The Project Manager is responsible for managing and coordinating the day-to-day activities and deliverables of medium to large projects within the New Product Development and Healthcare Reform department. This includes direct accountability for project execution from beginning to end, directing, motivating and leading cross-functional project teams; defining and managing project scope, establishing change control procedures, identifying and delegating tasks responsibilities, developing time-lines to ensure timely completion of projects; as well as monitoring and reporting progress, risks and issues. This person will be responsible for developing and tracking project budgets as well as identifying resource needs and conflicts. The incumbent will oversee the functions of the project leadership team, which includes the Business Analyst(s), IT Lead, QA Manager, and Subject Matter Expert (SME) Team Leads. This person will work closely with the Project Owner and cross-functional staff (both Business Areas and IT) to successfully deliver projects on time and within budget and will help to ensure that project deliverables are successfully transitioned to and supported by operations.
• Provide hands-on project management functions, and engage project leadership and key stakeholders through all project phases. Facilitate project meetings, provide up-to-date and candid status updates, as well as ensure visibility and availability of project information. This includes but not limited to:
• Monitors and controls project scope and ensure proper change control procedures are followed on all change requests.
• Identify, assess and monitor risks and make mitigation strategy recommendations.
• Work with IT leadership and Functional Leads to develop and maintain an up-to-date integrated
• Identify, manage, and negotiate for critical project resources
• Maintain up-to-date project documentation and comply with EmblemHealth Enterprise Project
Management standards and policies
• Identify, verify project cost estimates. Develop project budget as well as track and reforecast project cost projections.
• Work with the Business Analysts on identifying Business Requirements and developing and/or validating Return on Investment (ROI) assumptions.
• Work with Director to identify and establish operational transition policies and procedures to ensure that project deliverables are seamlessly integrated into day-to-day operations.
• Regular attendance is an essential function of the job. Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Position Success Criteria:
• Ability and experience in managing Information Technology (IT), as well as non-IT, projects with minimal supervision and at times be able to manage multiple concurrent large projects
• Highly organized and excellent time management skills as well as the ability and experience for developing comprehensive, integrated and realistic project plans.
• Ability to assess and monitor project risk and developing mitigation strategy recommendations.
• Strong understanding of project related business case development and cost benefit analysis. Experience in developing and managing high dollar project budgets and the ability to work within established budgetary parameters.
• Possess strong oral and written communication skills, excellent problem solving and negotiation capability, as well as strong interpersonal, leadership and team building ability.
• Ability to facilitate project meetings and joint planning sessions with both the Business areas and IT.
• Working knowledge of project management principles, practices, techniques and tools in accordance with PMI (Project Management Institute) standards.
• Understanding of project and software development life cycle processes including requirements gathering, analysis and design and testing methodologies.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree.
• Minimum 6-8 years professional business experience, preferably in the Health Insurance industry.
• Minimum 5 years’ experience managing both IT and Non-IT related projects.
• Project Management Institute (PMI) PMP Certification is required, or working towards.
• Proficient in utilizing Microsoft Project to develop deliverable-oriented work breakdown structures (WBS), and tracking project progress and interdependencies.
• Expert knowledge of Microsoft Office tools, specifically MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Visio.
Internal Posting Closing Date: 3/4/13
EmblemHealth is set on being the mark of good health in the Northeast. The not-for-profit company provides health...