The role of the Project Manager will be responsible for the successful management of one or more technology projects in Scientific & Scholarly Research (SSR). These projects typically relate to the development or enhancement of products for SSR business partners.
Duties and Responsibilities
Project Management (70%)
- Manages one or more technology projects with risk, complexity and visibility that relate to critical business goals for the global business partners
- Manages project deliverables, scope and expectations and coordinates project progress with sponsors, project boards, upper management and executives
- Interfaces with all functional and business areas/ groups affected by the project, including senior and/or executive management. Works closely with functional resource managers to ensure adequate allocation of resources to projects are being managed.
- Develops and tracks to detailed project plans, including schedules, cost estimates, resource plans, communication plans, risk mitigation plans and issue resolution plans
- Makes project decisions and recommendations to management about schedules, prioritization, and resource allocation with input from others as needed
- Monitors and provides input into project budget with guidance from Portfolio and/or Program Management Director, including estimates created during the funding process and regular reporting of project financial status.
- Partners with portfolio management resources and finance resources to monitor and manage project financials, resource allocations, and costs.
Communication and Collaboration (30%)
We are the leading source of intelligent information for the world's businesses and professionals, providing customers with competitive advantage. Intelligent information is a unique synthesis of human intelligence, industry expertise and innovative technology that provides decision-makers with the knowledge to act, enabling them to make better decisions faster. We deliver this must-have insight to the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, intellectual property and science and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization.
- Communicates and reports status to Technology teams, global business partners and all other stakeholders e.g., dashboards, status reports, etc.
- Provides leadership to cross-functional project teams comprised of SSR technology and intra-divisional staff. Provides work direction to teams.
- Employs project management best practices as governed by Technology Project Management Office including its process definition, templates and tools.
- Coaches and mentors less experienced project team members on project management processes, methodology and best practices, as needed.
About the IP & Science Business of Thomson Reuters
The IP & Science business is a global provider of information solutions to assist professionals at every stage of research and development and ensure they maintain and extract maximum value from their intellectual assets.
IP & Science is part of Thomson Reuters (
), the world's leading source of intelligent information for businesses and professionals. Scientific information solutions can be found at
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Strong project management experience in same or related industry
- Demonstrated achievements in planning, directing, and implementing multiple and concurrent projects.
- Demonstrated experience in leading cross-functional project teams.
- Demonstrated experience in leading globally-distributed teams.
- Strong technical and business subject matter expertise.
- Solid knowledge of project management best practices is required.
- Exposure to multiple methodologies is preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work with individuals at all levels in the organization and strong relationship-building abilities.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse styles, skills, and abilities and across cultures.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong negotiating, influencing, and conflict resolution skills.
- Experience in compiling and analyzing information to estimate project costs accurately, including providing input into business case development.
- Up to 10% travel may be required
Education and Previous Experience:
- PMP certification preferred;
- Bachelor’s degree (computer/technology, project management or related business discipline) preferred
- Minimum of five years of project management experience
- Experience working within an Agile development environment a plus
- Computer skills including good proficiency with Microsoft Project and/or other project management tools as well as Microsoft Office Suite
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 60,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit careers.thomsonreuters.com.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the H-1B visa cap has been met for the 2013 fiscal year (October 1, 2012-September 30, 2013).
IP & Science Technology
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Thomson Reuters - 5 months ago
Financial information is king and Thomson Reuters Corporation holds the crown. The company is the market leader in financial data (ahead of...