University of Massachusetts Information Technology Services department is seeking talented and motivated IT professionals. UITS is a department of the President's Office located in Shrewsbury with responsibility for providing central administrative services to the five campuses and the Central Office of the University of Massachusetts system.
UITS is currently seeking an experienced Project Manager to play a key role from within the UITS Campus Services organization.
The primary responsibilities of this Project Manager will be to professionally manage, lead, and successfully support the delivery of enterprise application and technical infrastructure projects and to contribute significantly toward key UITS strategic development objectives.
A breadth of project management experience and a depth of perspective from various IT disciplines (ERP implementations, business intelligence, and/or technical systems infrastructure) are core requirements and key characteristics of the ideal candidate for this role.
Additional valued characteristics of the ideal candidate include:
1. Experience as a PM managing conflicting business priorities.
2. Experience navigating matrixed organizations and complex relationships.
4. Capable of contributing in a team environment with the insight to influence and optimize alignment of resources, projects, programs, and operations to organization and university goals.
Management skills required for the position include:
• Project Management – Demonstrates knowledge of the principles, methods or tools for developing, scheduling and managing projects and resources, including monitoring performance of costs, schedule, scope, quality, risks, and results. Possesses project and portfolio process improvement experience with waterfall/SDLC and agile/Scrum methodologies.
• Customer Service - Works with internal customers to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems or satisfy their expectations; is committed to providing quality products and services.
• Decision Making - Makes sound, well-informed and objective decisions; perceives the impact and implication of decisions; commits to action, even in uncertain situations, to accomplish organizational goals.
• Flexibility - Is open to change and new information; adapts behavior or work methods in response to new information, changing conditions or unexpected obstacles; effectively deals with ambiguity.
• Leadership - Influences, motivates and challenges others; adapts leadership styles to a variety of situations.
• Organizational Awareness - Knows the organization's mission and functions, and how social, political, and technological systems influence the organization.
• Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
• Team Building - Inspires, motivates, and guides others toward goal accomplishments.
• Determines appropriate products or services with clients or customers to define project scope, requirements, and deliverables
• Develops, modifies, or provides input to project plans
• Implements project plans to meet objectives; Coordinates and integrates project activities;
• Manages, leads, or administers matrixed project resources;
• Monitors project activities and resources to mitigate risk;
• Implements or maintains quality assurance processes;
• Makes improvements, solves problems, or takes corrective action when problems arise;
• Gives presentations or briefings on all aspects of the project;
• Participates in stage-gate, milestone, and final project reviews;
• Identifies and contributes to produce project documentation requirements or procedures;
• Develops and implements product release or transition plan.
• Works with end users and Change Services staff to identify and address organizational change impacts
• Bachelors Degree in Information Systems Management, Computer Science, Business Administration or equivalent.
• Three or more years’ experience in a Project Management role or position.
• Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing policies, procedures and technical documentation.
• Effective verbal and written communication competence, including demonstrated experience in presentation to diverse audiences up to executive level.
• Not a core requirement but a major plus: PMP certification, Scrum Master, or equivalent
Starting salary for this position will be commensurate with candidate's experience. No relocation assistance available.
No applications will be accepted from our pre-approved staff augmentation vendors or other unaffiliated recruiting/placement agencies prior to February 6, 2013.
The University of Massachusetts System is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit the following documents by clicking on the APPLY NOW button.
• Letter of Application
Note: After submitting your resume/CV, the subsequent page gives you instructions that enable you to upload your cover letter and any additional documents you wish to send.
See the FAQ for using our online system. Please contact us if you need assistance applying through this website.
Returning Applicants - Login to your UMass System Office Careers Account to check your completed application.
University of Massachusetts - 20 months ago