PD LAOS Project Officer People Protecting their Ecosystems in the Lower Mekong (PEM)
Project Officer, PEM Project, Laos PDR
Oxfam America is an international relief & development organization with 7 overseas & 2 USA offices. Its mission is to find long-term solutions to global poverty & injustice. Oxfam America is engaged in regional development work including grant making to improve lives of people in the developing world, as well advocacy to change policies that affect the poor & public education & engagement activities around the causes of poverty & the means to end it.
Oxfam Australia’s Mekong Regional Program has a portfolio of development and humanitarian programmes implemented through and with other Oxfam affiliates, local partners, local government authorities and networks. They work in many of the more remote areas of the region, integrating long term development, humanitarian response and advocacy and lobbying interventions in order to deliver the greatest impact for the poor.
Both Oxfam America and Oxfam Australia are part of a confederation of Oxfams working together in 94 countries, as part of a global movement for change, to build a future free from the injustice of poverty
TITLE: Project Officer (PO) – PEM REPORTS TO: Project Manager,PEM
COORDINATES WITH: PEM Project Governance Team
LOCATION: Vientiane, Lao PDR
Oxfam America (OUS) and Oxfam Australia (OAU) are jointly implementing a multi-year project which seeks to reduce ecological and human threats posed by large-scale resource developments in the Lower Mekong Basin, and promote more sustainable and equitable development that benefits the poor and vulnerable. In coordination with partners and allies, the project aims to:
- Enhance consideration of environmental and social impacts and promote adherence to best practice standards in planning and decision-making processes, including cumulative and transboundary impacts
- Promote collaboration and coordination among civil society at national and regional levels
- Provide grants to strengthen and scale up community based natural resource management initiatives in target areas
- Support participatory research and monitoring, including community-led documentation of ecosystems and resources important to their livelihoods
- Promote dialogues within and between communities, and with other stakeholders
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Project Officer is an integral member of the Project Implementation Team (PIT) for the project PEM.
The PO is required to primarily assist the Project Manager in developing the program & supports all administrative, management & public relations work of the program within Laos, including in-country grant & partner support, being a national point-person for information & resource needs for civil society, donors, & government, & provide back-up for events, research, advocacy, liaison & representation when required. Scope of work may include managing grants and partners in other Mekong countries.
This appointment is based in Vientiane, Lao PDR and open to Lao Nationals.
Main responsibilities are:
- Assist in the development and the implementation of the PEM
- Provide inputs to & assist the smooth implementation of the annual work plan (AWP)
- Work with the Project Manager to ensure the submission of quarterly narrative report, bi-weekly meeting report & verification of monthly financial reports
- Arrange & participate in meetings & workshops identified in the AWP
- Keep an updated hard & e-filing system for PEM on the Quick Access and Oxfam’s intranet system Padare
- Develop & maintain a library of resources for PEM on the Quick Access and Oxfam’s intranet system Padare
- Assist in interpretation & translation
Research & Information Dissemination
- Collect, collate & analyse information relevant to the project strategies & monitoring of NAME PROJECT environments
- Manage NAME PROJECT ‘s research publications and translate into Lao
- Assist the Regional policy officer in collecting, analysing & report on policy & stakeholder information relevant to NAME PROJECT policy engagement.
Granting & Partner Relations
- In compliance with grant-making procedures & policies, assist the project implementation team with small & large grants to national partners ensuring fulfilment of implementation, impact & reporting requirements
- Provide updated NAME PROJECT information & resources as required by partners & allies
- Build capacity of partners & allies so that they can work into effective responses to sector developments & opportunities. This may include field audits & institutional needs analysis.
- Participate & contribute in civil society networks on social and environmental issues.
- Work closely with partners as technical support & grant management.
- . Maintain partner analysis
Events Management & Communication
- Prepare & coordinate meetings, workshop & seminars as required
- Facilitate meeting & event requirements of visiting PEM Team members, Oxfam leadership and Project Donors
- Undertake & participate in awareness raising events & networking as required
- In agreement with the Project Manager represent Oxfam corporately on specific circumstances & /or partnerships
- Develop & manage primary working relationships with external partners & allies, including governmental units, business, individuals, as relevant to the NAME PROJECT
Policy Analysis & Advocacy
- Undertake analysis of relevant information & disseminate such resources as to support the work of the NAME PROJECT Team, partners & allies
- Work on policy, legal & regulatory issues as identified by the Project Manager
- Participate in targeted lobbying with key actors such as donors, authorities & the private sector
- Ensure that women’s representation and participation is promoted in the project
A degree in development, social or environmental science, conservation or other relevant fields;
Experience & core competencies
At least 5 years experience with considerable field experience in community development, experience in conservation is a plus;
Strong understanding of social and/or environmental justice, rights & globalization issues.
Strong understanding of & analytical skills on sustainable development issues.
Experience in conducting or facilitating participatory dialogue processes at community levels.
Experience in grant management and partner relations
An excellent command of written & spoken English & Lao.
Excellent computer skills
1. Experience working with Indigenous peoples/ ethnic minorities
2. Other regional languages
3. Experience working with or to influence government or private sector
Proven ability & aptitude to learn quickly;
A team player who works well in a multi-cultural environment, communicates readily & shares learning with colleagues, partners, beneficiaries & officials;
Ability & willingness to undertake extensive travel in the provinces;
Ability to produce quality work under pressure.
Confidence to work alone but to judge when help is needed or there is an opportunity to share learning.
Oxfam America - 16 months ago