Under direction, supervise personnel and resources for the successful operation of the Police Property and Evidence Section.
· Select, direct, instruct, schedule, train, supervise, discipline and evaluate subordinate personnel.
· Perform work functions of the Property and Evidence Technician when necessary due to workload.
· Maintain the operations to insure compliance with all standards, policies and procedures.
· Assist the public and departmental personnel with requests related to property and evidence.
· Maintain accurate documentation by updating all paperwork and electronic records related to chain of custody.
· Reviews and tracts evidence requiring testing at various labs; insures the proper procedures are followed throughout the process.
· Insure the proper destruction of all disposed evidence including but not limited to narcotics, biohazard evidence, firearms and trash.
· Insure the proper process is adhered to in handling abandoned/unclaimed property for the City auction and account for each item in accordance with policy and procedures.
· Performs all other related duties as assigned.
High School Diploma with college preferred.
Three years experience in a police evidence unit with at least two years of supervisory experience preferred.
REQUIRED SKILLS & ABILITIES
· Knowledge of the legal requirements for the collection and preservation of evidence as set forth in the Texas Rules of Evidence and the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure.
· Knowledge of the rules of inventory control practices and procedures.
· Knowledge of laws related to notification and disposition of abandoned property.
· Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
· Ability to follow instructions, safety practices and standard operating procedures in performing assigned tasks.
· Ability to be punctual and attend work regularly
· Ability to work effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or job type.
· Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
· Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
· Ability to provide courtroom testimony.
· Ability to function effectively in stressful situations.
· Skill in use of personal computer including Microsoft Office, Open Office or similar word processing programs, e-mail, evidence management software and the internet.
BACKGROUND STANDARDS - Please read
· Must submit to and pass a pre-employment drug test.
· Must possess a valid State of Texas Drivers License Class “C” and good driving record as defined by City policy.
· Must pass a background investigation including a polygraph.