This position is responsible for all accounting operations for a single property or multiple properties in a portfolio. This position is located on a property site and reports to the General Manager for that location, with dual responsibilities to the accounting group for company accounting policies and procedures. This position is accountable for proper accounting, reporting, and analysis for the properties covered, and uses independent judgment and discretion in the application of policies and general accounting procedures. This position provides guidance and oversight to management and owners regarding proper accounting procedures.
1. Accounts Receivable –Prepare delinquency reports, handle collection calls and correspondence, research and complete billing adjustments, be the point of contact for tenant questions and disputes regarding billing, post actual funds to appropriate accounts and complete aged reports to Asset Management team on periodic schedule.
2. Accounts Payable – Coordinate vendors’ payments including discrepancies and past due amounts, review and submit backup to corporate accounting for weekly check runs, work with vendors on credit applications and waiver of lien forms, complete vendor setup forms for corporate setup.
3. Rent Statements – Ensure base rent and monthly charges (utilities and shared expenses) are correct and accurately entered in MRI, create required tenant backup documentation, finalize statements and send to tenants.
4. Monthly Close – Ensure financials and reports are accurate for each building/property, complete and verify all monthly entries, including accruals, insurance, tax, depreciation, management fees and bank activity, complete monthly reconciliations, prepares monthly asset management review and makes adjustments, completes debt service worksheet and prepare and file use and occupancy taxes monthly.
5. Monthly Reporting – Plan and coordinate monthly financials to include variances and related percentages, updating actual to forecast, verifying expenses, analyze budget variances, aging reports, TI tracking, reserves summary and executive summary.
6. Lease Administration – Extract lease data, input new tenant information, expand/contract existing tenants.
7. Budgeting & Forecasting – Prepare financial data for property budgets, works with property manager to complete re-forecasts within budgets including analysis of current projects and anticipated/planned projects, completes leasing assumptions into budget, works with property manager to complete narrative and variance analysis, reviews and validates entire budget before submission, works with PFM and Asset Management to review and update budget, sets up approved budget within MRI for upcoming year.
8. Quarterly Re-Forecast & Reporting – Complete quarterly reforecast to Asset Management, coordinate with Property Manager to determine planned projects and updates any comments for changes, review reforecast with PFM and Asset Management.
9. Annual Projects & Reporting – Complete CAM and RET reconciliation for properties, complete escalations and estimations, complete billing through MRI, create necessary backup for billing to tenants.
10. Ad Hoc Responsibilities – Interact with other internal groups for reporting and analysis, provide information as needed to Asset Management and owner representatives, complete reserve funding requests, work with tenants and management to provide documentation and complete calculations for tenant audits, resolve accounting discrepancies, assist local management and team members with accounting policies and procedures, prepare local and state taxes per schedule , assist with QA audits and ensures all accounting items are consistent with corporate requirements for audit.
Requirements (Experience, Education, Competencies)
Previous experience in accounting in a commercial real estate environment. Prior experience handling accounting duties at the property level without daily supervision.
Education & Training
BS/BA in accounting from a regionally accredited program.
CPA preferred, but not required.
1. Ability to work independently to perform regular accounting duties, close accounts at month end, perform quarterly
2. Software proficiency with MRI, Angus and other accounting programs.
3. Proficiency in standard MicroSoft Office programs (Outlook, Excel, Word).
4. Ability to interact with a variety of internal clients/teams, including peers at corporate and on other properties, senior management.
5. Must be able to respond to queries from owners’ representatives, senior management, and tenants, providing a thorough and accurate reply.
Carter - 23 months ago
The william carter company was founded in 1865 by william carter in needham, mass. it is one of the oldest and largest branded marketers of...