Leads the proposal team and is responsible for resources, planning, scheduling, development and production. The primary focus of the proposal manager must be to producing winning proposal documents. The proposal manager owns the proposal strategy and process. The proposal manager is a disciplined project manager that leads as well as manages, knows and drives the proposal development process. The proposal manager will have access to senior management; earns and has their respect. The proposal manager is also a generalist that can focus on details, yet can delegate content issue to focus on process.
Essential Job Functions and Accountabilities:
Physical Requirements / Working Environment and Conditions
- Collaborate with the Business Development team to gain an appropriate understanding of the sales strategy and strategic plan, and to ensure the response clearly conveys the proper business perspective, key messages, value proposition, and differentiators against our competition.
- Drive proposal strategy meetings to discuss themes, discriminators, solution, etc.
- Conduct lessons learned and document and implement actions to improve overall process.
- Work with management to select technical proposal team members and delegate authority/responsibility.
- Work with a team of writers; reviewers; graphic artists; management, operational and technical subject matter experts; and subcontractors.
- Identify, assess, resolve, and/or escalate issues as needed.
- Read and interpret solicitation to identify critical items required for a compliant response.
- Apply project management techniques to control scope, cost, and schedule.
- Develop and be held accountable for the overall proposal schedule, production schedule, outlines, compliance matrices, proposal development plan, and writing assignments.
- Create/maintain proposal file organization and distribute internal and external proposal documents to team (e.g., RFP, schedule, etc.).
- Conduct activities required to successfully assemble multi-functional, cross-divisional teams to perform Storyboard, Pink, Red and Gold Team proposal reviews.
- Assist with the formatting and layout of the proposal volumes.
- Produce, assemble, and ship multiple copies of responses and report on delivery of responses; responsible for production and on-time delivery.
- Coordinate activities involved in the development of orals presentations, discussions, and Final Proposal Revisions (FPRs).
- Provide timely and accurate status reports to the proposal team.
Basic Requirements and Competencies:
- Ability to maintain a high level of visual attention and mental concentration for significant periods of time as required by preparing and analyzing data, figures, computer terminals, etc.
- Ability to manipulate necessary office equipment, computer software, hardware & equipment.
- Ability to perform the following physical activities: stooping, reaching, standing, walking, feeling, talking and hearing.
- Requires working in both internal and external environments subject to variation in temperature.
- Work is classified as sedentary with the requirements of exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time.
- Nights, weekends, and travel as required to meet deadlines.
- Bachelor's degree required (writing arena).
- Minimum 3 years proposal management experience specific to the federal contracting arena required.
- Solid understanding of the federal government procurement process and policies.
- Ability to be a team player and lead teams in the production of proposals with a variety of staff members involved.
- Ability to collaborate and work as a team, with dynamic interpersonal skills to interact with all levels of management.
- Organizational skills and ability to prioritize multiple tasks in order to meet schedules.
- Creative thinking, problem solving skills, and detail-oriented.
- Proficiency in Microsoft products.
- Show initiative and be flexible working in a changing environment with high stress and tight deadlines.
- Ability to successfully execute many complex tasks simultaneously, maintain professional attitude, and work as a team member, as well as independently.
- Strong commitment to corporate quality standards
- Familiar with industry-leading proposal development concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Dedicated to completing objective and missions under pressure.
- Other Considerations: Nights, weekends, and travel as required to meet deadlines.
- Maintain standards compliance for ISO 9001 and CMMI.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience facilitating communications between a technical staff and a community of users.
- Communication: Promotes active listening with team members; Contributes appropriately to conversations; Accurately prepares written business correspondence that is coherent, grammatically correct, effective, professional and engaging.
- Problem Solving: Understands how various issues affect each other and the outcome of projects; Improves upon existing approaches by seeking opportunities to creatively transform.
- Interpersonal Skills: Effectively and productively engages with others and establishes trust, credibility, and confidence with others
- Customer Orientation: Listens to customers, ensures commitments are met, sets appropriate customer expectations, and effectively responds to customer needs.
- Must have or be able to obtain Secret Security clearance.