Deadlines/Schedules – The ability to analyze, strategize, plan, coordinate, author, and oversee the completion of proposals, on very demanding schedules, as well as the ability to communicate proposal status to management, fellow associates, and the client.
Cost-Effectiveness – The ability to produce and oversee high quality work on schedule.
Communication Skills – The ability to provide effective communication between the client and all internal departments.
Customer Satisfaction/Follow-Up – The ability to establish a rapport with the client to increase sales.
Strategic Skills – The amount and quality of planning, delegating, and proactive skills exhibited.
Studies Requests For Proposal (RFPs) and defines a proposal plan and outline based upon the RFP requirements.
Meets proposal deadline by establishing priorities and target dates for information gathering, writing, review, and approval and coordinating requirements with contributors.
Attends strategy meetings, contributes related proposal status information, and helps define the winning themes for the proposal.
Develops content for proposals, market research submissions, and other marketing communications.
Prepares proposals by evaluating and assembling text, graphics, charts, etc., and editing the material for logical flow, clarity, and style.
Obtains approvals by reviewing proposal with key providers and project managers.
Coordinates printing, assembly, and binding of proposals if necessary.
Electronically transmits completed proposals and/or coordinates the shipping of printed versions as required.
Maintains quality results by using templates, following proposal-writing standards to improve readability, consistency, and tone.
Improves company's proposal-writing results by assisting in evaluating, updating, and improving standard content and maintaining proposal support databases.
The Proposal Writer supports the work of O'Neil's Marketing Communications area and contributes to continued development and improvement of the electronic Marketing and Sales Resource Center. The Proposal Writer writes material intended to convince a reader to enter into a business arrangement or buy O'Neil's services and/or products. As such, the candidate must have excellent writing skills and be able to write in a professional, credible, detailed, factual, and persuasive manner. The candidate must possess a "can-do" attitude and be able to function within a dynamic work environment that often involves a quick turnaround for proposal development. Writing will be performed in three primary modes when developing proposal material: 1. Developing written original text based on input from SMEs 2. Rewriting technical content generated by other team members 3. Editing and/or rewriting past proposal content to meet new RFP requirements, based on others’ review notes and marked-up comments on historical proposal material. Occasional travel to bid conferences and meet customers may be required, often on short notice.
Bachelor or associate degree in a technical field, or military equivalent experience and/or at least five (5) years experience writing and coordinating the writing of complete, complex technical documents, preferably persuasive technical proposals. Experience should include the design and organization of the documentation as well as coordination with client/Government representatives, engineering, and internal writing, provisioning, art, and other logistics/product support personnel. Knowledge of software development or designing IT solutions would be plus.
Education and Experience:
- Self-Motivation: Able to work with minimal supervision. Skilled at effectively and rapidly working on various proposals simultaneously.
- Deadline-Oriented: Must be schedule driven and willing to work extended hours when required to meet proposal deadlines. Holidays receive special consideration for work scheduling but work through Holidays is sometimes required.
- Teamwork/Coordination: Ability to communicate effectively with customers and employees on a technical and interpersonal basis. Skilled at interviewing O’Neil SMEs to understand our approach, and author that into a winning proposal.
- Written Communication: Strong knowledge of English, excellent grammar, writing, and proofreading skills.
- Research and Analysis: Skilled in efficiently researching the Internet and/or O’Neil resources to locate relevant and useful information and content. Ability to review corporate historical data and interview SMEs to accurately estimate the amount of effort required to perform the proposed O’Neil services.
- Strategic Planning: Skilled at analyzing customer requirements, competitive factors, and developing persuasive proposals.
- Software Skills: Must be highly proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel and comfortable with Microsoft PowerPoint and Access.
- Graphic Design & Layout Skills: Organize material and complete writing assignments according to set proposal standards and requirements regarding order, clarity, conciseness, style, and terminology.
- Market Knowledge: Ability to quickly learn O’Neil offerings, and align them to solve customer needs.
- Process Improvement: Ability to document/archive technical and contractual details over long periods and to archive this data to aid in future related proposals.
- Proficiency in Adobe Suite, specifically Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat experience
- General knowledge of technical fields, especially mechanical/electrical, electronic, aerospace, or software engineering
- Knowledge of fields related to O'Neil's market space, including electronic publishing, technical writing and illustrating, provisioning, logistic support analysis, and software solutions
- Familiarity with Government RFPs and contracting
- Existing security clearance a plus, but not required