Job Title: Protection and Safety Technician
Job ID: 03494
Division : P & C Loss Reserving
Work Location(s): United States-Wisconsin-Madison
Full/Part Time: Defined Part-Time (25+ hours)
- Shift hours for this position are 6:00pm - 6:30am Friday & Saturday.
- Shift premium is available for this position.
- Offer to selected candidate will be made contingent on the results of background checks.
Responsible for the audit and maintenance of a safe and secure work environment, both interior and exterior, through the execution of departmental policies and unit objectives. Performs inspections and patrols with the primary objective of ensuring employee safety in addition to protecting company assets through proactive crime deterrence. Initiates and directs prescribed corrective action upon discovery of security and/or safety hazards. Responsible for the communication of emergency service needs. Supports unit's documentation responsibilities through written reports and effective communication techniques.
- Inspection/ Patrols (50%)
- Performs scheduled and random surveillance patrols including inspections of safety/security systems and work environments. Monitors and maintains appropriate alarming status of facility intrusion systems.
- Conducts interior and exterior patrols to include guard tour assignments in an effort to discover, secure and communicate unusual and unsecured situations such as unlocked passageways and vandalism.
- Audits all parking environments, protecting vehicles against vandalism while enforcing company parking regulations. Provides employee assistance with vehicle starting, door unlocking and tire inflation upon request.
- Performs fire hazard investigations scouting potential and eminent fire and safety hazards. Conducts fire management inspections of all suppression systems and equipment in an effort to identify repair needs, tampering and system/equipment readiness in the event of a fire emergency.
- Provides employee escort services in response to the escort policy.
- Inspects and documents personal safety equipment and compliance such as eye wash station, electrical lockout/tagout, chemical disposal programs and flammable storage sites. Initiates corrective measures in the event of noncompliance. Inspects and reports facility life safety code violations established by federal and local city ordinance.
- Documentation and Report Writing (15%)
- Provides accurate, timely reports responding to daily activities, incident reports and emergency actions, including the use of on-line forms. Establishes a documentary information trail.
- Completes a "Daily Security Log" report documenting the shift's activities.
- Completes an "Incident Report" for any type of event or situation which involves emergency action, police involvement, injury, hazard discovery, property damage/vandalism or defensive tactics.
- Completes a weekly "Fire Prevention/Inspection" report documenting equipment readiness.
- Completes a "Daily Vehicle Log" report if assigned to a post requiring use of a departmental vehicle.
- System Operation (15%)
- Performs annunciator functions in relation to fire computer and fire panels, including alarm points, enabling/disabling points, and resetting.
- Tests, operates, and troubleshoots fire suppression system functions, including shut-off valves, deluges, zones, Halon and CO2 systems.
- Accesses computer based card access software to perform a variety of functions, including card disabling, card lookup, and door shunting events.
- Uses Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) system for alarm response and image retrieval.
- Uses photo ID systems functions for photo taking, system downloads, and printing cards.
- Uses intrusion systems, including alarm response, system reset, zone removal, and door codes.
- Emergency Response (10%)
- Responds to alarm conditions exercising appropriate judgment while utilizing trained response skills. Provides assistance and information to responding emergency and law enforcement agencies.
- Initiates Emergency Response Programs in response of, but not limited to: disaster recovery, life safety, utility outage, first responder, severe weather, personal threat situations, HAZMAT situations, walk-in complaints.
- Is trained and certified as a First Responder, to include administering CPR and First Aid, as well as being trained in the use of Automatic External Defibrillators and Oxygen Therapy.
- Is trained and responds as a Life Safety Captain within the scope of the Life Safety Program.
- Provides back up coverage for Protection/ Safety Systems Technician during emergency procedure enactment situations.
- System Testing (10%)
- Involves the testing of emergency systems both manual and automatic, ensuring communication and targeted system performance in the event of an emergency.
- Performs testing on automatic sprinkler systems to include: flow test (pressure), alarm signal communication/reception and local audible/strobe equipment.
- Performs testing of Life Safety Systems to include: pull stations, evacuation horns/strobes, smoke/heat detection, signal communication/reception.
- Performs testing of automatically closing fire door through alarm system activation.
- Checks and performance tests Automatic External Defibrillators (AEDs) and Oxygen Therapy devices daily, monthly and after each use.
- Achieve Results
- Be Accountable
- Maximize Customer Experience
- Concern for Quality
- Planning & Organizing
- Technical Expertise
- Must be certified in Blood Borne Pathogen training within 9 months of hire.
- Successfully obtain and maintain applicable instruction certifications such as First Aid, CPR, and Defensive Driving within 9 months of hire.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Valid driver's license required plus an acceptable driving record.
- Working PC knowledge including basic business applications (e.g. Microsoft Word and Excel).
- This position requires the ability to work in high, precarious places between 1 and 33% of the time.
- This position requires the ability to work with exposure to moving parts between 1 and 33% of the time.
- This position requires the ability to work with exposure to outside weather conditions between 33 - 66% of the time.
- This position requires the ability to climb or balance between 1 and 33% of the time.
- This position requires the ability to work with close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less) for extended periods of time.
- This position requires the ability to work with depth perception (three-dimensional vision, ability to judge distances and spatial relationships) for extended periods of time.
- This position requires the ability to work with distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more) for extended periods of time.
- This position requires the ability to adjust focus (ability to adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus) for extended periods of time.
- This position requires hand and finger dexterity for between 1 and 33% of the time.
- This position requires the ability to work with peripheral vision (ability to observe an area that can be seen up and down or to the left or right while eyes are fixed on a given point) for extended periods of time.
- This position requires the ability to reach with hands and arms between 1 and 33% of the time.
- This position requires the ability to sit between 33 and 66% of the time.
- This position requires the ability to stand between 1 and 33% of the time.
- This position requires the ability to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl between 1 and 33% of the time.
- This position requires the ability to talk or listen (hear) between 1 and 33% of the time.
- This position requires the ability to taste or smell between 1 and 33% of the time.
- This position requires the ability to walk between 33 and 66% of the time.
- This position requires the ability to lift up to 50 pounds between 1 and 33% of the time.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes health, life and dental insurance, a 401(K) plan, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave and the opportunity for career development. If you would like to put your career in motion apply online today!
Please review the job requirements.
American Family Insurance - 18 months ago
American Family Insurance offers auto, home, life & annuities, health, business and farm & ranch insurance. We’ve expanded...