Under the supervision of the Clinical Director, provides highly advanced medical and psychiatric care to patients with mental illness and/or intellectual development disability admitted to Kerrville State Hospital ranging in age from 18 years to advanced age geriatric patients. Involves assessing medical history and physiological, psychological, and/or behavioral factors to determine the cause(s) of mental disorders; developing plans for psychiatric treatment; and administering specialized psychiatric and medical treatments and/or procedures. For each patient admitted, performs a comprehensive psychiatric assessment and evaluation. Documents in the client’s electronic medical record information necessary to the provision of high quality care and such documentation meets standards mandated by CMS, JC, DSHS, and KSH and actively participates in the performance improvement process. Provides advanced leadership and clinical supervision to the interdisciplinary treatment team.
Essential Job Functions:
Task 1: Provides individualized, appropriate, and optimal diagnosis and treatment to the geriatric, forensic, and adult patients of Kerrville State Hospital.
Task 2: Documents in the client's electronic medical record justification/rationale for orders, use of medication for physical and psychiatric therapy and multiple treatment modalities necessary in the provision of quality holistic care utilizing the prescribed format. Completes Resuscitative Status/AIMS Scale for assigned patients.
Task 3: Contributes to overall improvement of patient care through active participation in assigned committees, workgroups, peer review, and patient care sector assignments.
Task 4: Assists in implementing client-specific discharge planning with emphasis on aftercare to ensure appropriate placement.
Task 5: Performs necessary psychiatric assessments and completes certifications related to the legal process involved in commitments.
Task 6: Maintains current TSBME licensure, DPS and DEA certification, and meets KSH and DSHS training requirements to maintain competency.
Task 7: Other duties as assigned include but are not limited to actively participating and/or serving in a supporting role to meet the agency's obligations for disaster response and/or recovery or Continuity of Operations (COOP) activation. Such participation may require an alternate shift pattern assignment and/or location.
Knowledge Skills Abilities:
Registration or Licensure Requirements:
- Ability to provide individualized, appropriate, and optimal diagnosis and treatment to the geriatric, forensic, and adult patients of Kerrville State Hospital.
- Ability to document in the client's electronic medical record justification/rationale for orders, use of medication for physical and psychiatric therapy and multiple treatment modalities necessary in the provision of quality holistic care utilizing the format prescribed to ensure proper patient treatment and care.
- Knowledge and ability to participate actively in assigned committees, workgroups, peer review, and patient care sector assignments.
- Ability to implement client-specific discharge planning with emphasis on aftercare to ensure appropriate placement.
- Knowledge of court commitment process and ability to perform the necessary psychiatric assessment and certifications related to the legal commitment process.
- Ability to maintain current TSBME licensure, DPS and DEA certification, and to meet KSH and DSHS training requirements to maintain competency.
- Experience in treatment of geriatric patients.
- Experience in treatment of forensic patients.
- Experience in treatment of patients with intellectual development disability.
- Experience in treatment of multiple disability patients.
- Competence in use of Microsoft Office Systems (i.e., Microsoft Word, Outlook) and client information database.
Must be licensed as a Medical Doctor by the State of Texas. Have current and valid Texas Controlled Substance license. Have current and valid Drug Enforcement Agency license.
Initial Selection Criteria:
- A license to practice medicine in the State of Texas.
- Experience treating forensic psychiatric patients in a patient setting.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), HHS agencies will provide reasonable accommodation during the hiring and selection process for qualified individuals with a disability. If you need assistance completing the on-line application, contact the HHS Employee Service Center at 1-888-894-4747. If you are contacted for an interview and need accommodation to participate in the interview process, please notify the person scheduling the interview.
Texas Department of Family and Protective Services - 2 years ago