Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. It is the principal agency for protecting the health of citizens. Join HHS and help to make our world healthier, safer, and better for all Americans.
This position is located in the Department of Health and Human Services
(DHHS), within the Substance Abuse and
Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), Center for Mental Health
Services (CMHS), Division of State and Community Systems Development, in the State
Grants Eastern Branch in Rockville, MD.
This vacancy is also being announced concurrently with vacancy announcement HHS-SAMHSA-MP-14-1044330 under merit promotion procedures. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under merit promotion procedures. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
PHS Commissioned Corps Officers interested in
performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps (not as a
career/career-conditional employee) are encouraged to apply under the merit
promotion announcement indicated above.
This announcement may be used to fill multiple positions in multiple locations. TRAVEL REQUIRED
10% travel may be required per year. RELOCATION AUTHORIZED
No KEY REQUIREMENTS
U.S. Citizenship is required.
Background investigation required. DUTIES: Back to top
guidance and direction in the planning, development and execution of a national
public health program in the field of comprehensive community-based mental
health services to adults with serious mental illness and children with serious
analyses to the Division, Agency, and Department regarding trends in the State.
procedures based on research and practice findings for negotiating interim
performance targets for States.
expert in providing leadership and guidance on substantive technical issues
relevant to program operations.
critical or high priority grants or contracts to ensure that projects and
activities are meeting the patients need.
and implement strategies to promote widespread dissemination of knowledge
obtained through program developments.
other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED: Back to top
GS-14: Must have
at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-13
level of Federal service. Examples of specialized experience include:
experience as a resource specialist in mental health services and behavioral
health programs involving managing a broad array of technical assistance activities
in support of services and programs; expert knowledge of and ability to perform
complex analytical studies and interpret results in order to coordinate the
evaluation of programs and recommended improvements; ability to interpret and
apply policies, procedures, regulations and guidelines necessary for
administering public health programs; experience in leading and coordinating
staff activities to accomplish major time frames; expert knowledge of
organizations that operate federally funded mental health and protection and advocacy
programs; experience in Federal funding mechanisms to include grants,
contracts, cooperative agreements and other contractual arrangements needed to
perform assigned functions.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees . Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. Financial disclosure statement may be required.
6. One-year probationary period may be required.
7. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will be paid: No
8. Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
9. Drug Screening Required: No
10. Recruitment incentives may be authorized: No
11. Student loan repayment incentive authorized: No
12. Annual leave for non-federal service authorized: No HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of the resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Category rating procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates. The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the competencies required for this position. Qualified candidates will be ranked into one of three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified or Qualified.
The Category Rating Process does not add veterans preference points but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher).
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
of concepts, statutes, regulations, methods and techniques of mental health
of contract and grant program formulation and administration financial
to communicate in writing
to effectively communicate orally
to coordinate projects and activities across grant programs
BENEFITS: Back to top
The Federal Government offers a comprehensive benefits package. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Pay_and_Benefits .
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form. For more information on veterans preference see http://www.usajobs.gov/Veterans .
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov ).
For information on "People with Disabilities" please visit http://opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http://opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp#ictap . To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
usajobs.gov - 9 months ago
copy to clipboard