Altarum Institute is seeking a Public Health Officer to support a proposed multi-year Health Surveillance project for a strategic federal client in Silver Spring, MD. The Public Health Officer will work as part of a multidisciplinary team to improve the tracking of acute respiratory disease and other reportable events in the military population. The position largely involves providing assistance in the communication of plans and actions related to infectious disease events that impact Department of Defense personnel or national security.
Altarum Institute is a nonprofit systems research and consulting organization that has been servicing government and private sector clients since 1946. Combining the analytical rigor of a research institution with the business agility of a consulting firm, the Institute is uniquely positioned to deliver practical, systems-based health and healthcare solutions to its clients. Altarum’s nonprofit status ensures that the public interest is always preeminent in our work. Our dedication to social responsibility is evident in all that we do, serving the public good with integrity and enabling others to do the same.
• Provide direct support to the leader of any disease emergency preparedness plan program (such as an epidemic influenza response).
• Assist program staff with communications solutions which support military leadership and other subordinate U.S. military organizations.
• Assist with setting up radio and computer communications capability which become an integral part of the Communications Center.
• Assists the Health Education Specialist with the preparation of troop and DoD health care beneficiary training brochures and Web-based course development on specific emerging infectious diseases (especially influenza) specifically targeting prevention and control recommendations.
• Participate in special projects, as required. Prepare study or investigation-specific databases or spreadsheets, white papers, etc.
• Medical degree or related PhD in a biomedical related field with specialty within infectious disease therapeutic areas.
• 5+ years of related experience.
• Must have a demonstrated management experience in dealing with DoD organizations and a working knowledge of the Military Health System, the military research community and particularly the Overseas Research Laboratories; and knowledge and skills that would result in effectively working with elements of the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization.
• Must have excellent interpersonal and communications skills.
• Must have knowledge, training and experience in infectious diseases and public health.
• Must be able to travel to domestic and international locations to attend meetings and scientific conferences.
• Must be able to receive a U.S. Security Clearance (sole U.S. citizenship required).
Altarum's dynamic work environment emphasizes integrity, personal commitment, and teamwork. In addition to the meaningful and challenging work, Altarum offers an outstanding benefits program that includes paid time off, tuition reimbursement, 401k (5% employer contribution), a flexible work environment, and much more. We invite you to explore exciting and rewarding career opportunities with us.
Altarum is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/D/V.
Altarum Institute - 24 months ago
copy to clipboard
Altarum Institute is a nonprofit health systems research and consulting organization. Altarum integrates independent research and...