Reporting to the Assistant Director of Communications and Media Relations and serving as an official spokesperson for the organization, the Public Information Officer will craft and issue press releases, amongst other duties. The ideal candidate will be fluent in both English and Spanish, and will also possess both mega-event and crisis management experience. Previous experience as a spokesperson or as a media professional required.
- Researches and writes press releases to ensure that organizational operations and initiatives are brought to the attention of the public.
- Researches and responds to media inquiries to provide accurate, consistent information about organizational operations and initiatives, in response to specific questions.
- Monitors media coverage of events and current agency-related news items and provides frequent updates to the Director and Assistant Director of Communications and Media Relations.
- Manages electronic distribution of press releases, and maintains/updates Communications Office contacts as needed.
- Writes speeches and background/briefing materials for the President/CEO and other leaders of the organization.
- During times of emergency, joins the Director and Assistant Director of Communications and Media Relations in an on-call duty rotation, which requires 24-hour/day coverage for breaking news inquiries throughout the on-call assignment.
- Provides support to other departments as directed by the Director and/or Assistant Director of Communications and Media Relations.
- Baccalaureate Degree in Communications, Journalism or related field and a minimum of 5 years experience in a public affairs position, which may include experience as a newspaper, radio or television editor or reporter.
- Must be able to regularly work Saturdays, Sundays, holidays. Must be willing to temporarily relocate to, and work full-time during the Saratoga Meet, running from July through Labor Day.
- Experience in mega-event operations.
- Crisis communication operations and management.
- Oral and written fluency in English and Spanish required.
- Experience in professional horse racing, or within the professional sports and/or gaming industries a plus.