Are you looking for a way to put your Super Human organizational skills and your love of media and public relations to good use? Are you tired of working under the neon lights of a company that worries more about profit than purpose? Then take a close look at this job announcement—it may be the opportunity you've been searching for!
Next Generation—a scrappy and driven non-profit located in downtown San Francisco—seeks an Public Relations Assistant who will be on the front lines of some of the most exciting public policy and communications projects in the nation. You'll be directly involved with senior members of the Next Generation team while interacting with dozens of high-level external partners. In other words, this is a killer, high-profile, mission-critical job at an organization tat knows how to have an impact while having a good time.
Among other duties, the Public Relations Assistant will have primary responsibility for managing the schedule of the Vice President and Director of Communications, as well as supporting the VP with correspondence among key partners, reporters, and other VIPs. The PR Assistant will also have primary responsibility for interacting with reporters engaged in our projects, maintaining related media lists, and coming up with creative ways to generate media coverage for Next generation, its leaders and partners.
We need you to be a creative, outgoing communicator with a mild case of OCD and a knack for bringing order from chaos.
Can you do it? We knew you could! Here's a little more information about what you'll need to do to land the job:
The public relations assistant at Next Generation has two primary responsibilities: The successful candidate will assist the Vice President/Director of Communications with a variety of administrative tasks, and will help manage media relations on behalf of Next Generation.
Assist the Vice President & Director of Communications (50%):
Manage media relations (50%):
- Manage scheduling of meetings for the VP and prepare related materials
- Coordinate with internal/external stakeholders
- Respond to e-mails as required
- Help coordinate activities among other members of the communications team
- Help manage external vendors and draft statements of work, contracts, and related materials
- Maintain a current database of press and other contacts
- Help coordinate travel and related logistics
- Manage expenses, timesheets, and related administrative duties
The successful candidate will be a highly disciplined, detail-oriented self-starter who is comfortable with a mix of administrative and programmatic duties. He or she should be capable of juggling multiple priorities at once, have excellent written and oral communications skills, and the ability to distill complex information into short, easy-to-grasp concepts. The application process will include a writing test.
- Draft press releases, talking points, and related materials
- In coordination with PR consultants, help develop and manage press lists (database)
- Pitch reporters and secure interviews for Next Generation executives and project partners; manage follow up with reporters, provide requested materials, research, contact info etc.
- Help produce media events (some travel required)
This is an entry-level position ideal for candidates with 1-2 years of experience in an executive assistant/junior public relations role.
About Next Generation
Next Generation promotes solutions to two of the biggest challenges confronting the next generation of Americans: The risk of dangerous climate change, and the threat of diminished prospects for children and families. Through the use of non-partisan research, policy development, and strategic communications, we identify strategies that help deploy clean, advanced energy technologies; we also work to ensure a level playing field from which today's kids can build a brighter future.
Next Generation takes lessons learned from California, America's largest, most populous state, and helps spread innovative ideas that can be enacted through public policy, private enterprise, families, and individuals. Learn more at www.thenextgeneration.org .
Next Generation promotes solutions to two of the biggest challenges confronting the next generation of Americans: The risk of dangerous...