The purpose of this class is to provide highly professional and administrative work developing, implementing, administering and managing the public information and communications program for the Atlanta Fire Rescue. This classification has the overall responsibility for AFR’s informational and promotional activities providing the general public and interested media enterprises with information and a mean of communications designed to provide accurate and timely information assisting in developing a positive public view of AFR.
Examples Of Essential Duties:
Plans, develops, implements and manages an effective public information/relations program by working with the department executive staff to determine public information/relations needs; develops an overall strategy to address public information/relations needs.
Communicates on behalf of Atlanta Fire Rescue in public information matters for responding to highly sensitive matters, emergencies, disasters or other critical incidents.
Assists in the dissemination of information to the public, news media, and other governmental entities during disaster events.
Advise executive staff regarding public relations programs and the response to questions; prepares speeches, news releases and official announcements; arranges press conferences and radio and television interviews for Fire Chief and or other departmental officials; serves as spokesperson for AFR at media events and community meetings.
Establishes and maintains relationships with representatives of news media; establishes contacts with community groups to encourage community participation and develops and programs and strategies to enhance the public’s perception of departmental services
Compiles and maintains statistical data and management information for use by City officials.
Maintains files of articles, photographs, programs, news summaries, reports and on matters of interest to the department.
Monitors public safety activities on local, national and international levels via print/broadcast media or Police communications systems.
Manages social media account(s)
Staffs departmental or other functions with Fire Chief as directed; assists Deputy Chiefs and other city or departmental or personnel as needed; represents office/department at various meetings.
May also perform work under the direction of the city’s Communication & Cable Director who is responsible for the overall citywide information dissemination.
Bachelor's degree in Journalism, English, Business/Public Administration or Communications required; five years of experience in public relations or related experience required; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job..
This position reports to the Fire Deputy Chief of Staff and you must be able to work with minimal supervision.
- Has general knowledge of the principles, practices and procedures of the City, Fire Department and the various department operations and functions.
- Has considerable knowledge of journalism and news media practices, policies and procedures as necessary in the completion of daily responsibilities.
- Ability to comply with department plans and objectives for the expedience and effectiveness of specific duties of the City.
- Is able to implement long-term goals for the department in order to promote effectiveness and efficiency.
- Has general knowledge of all applicable laws, ordinances, policies, standards and regulations pertaining to the specific duties and responsibilities of the job.
- Is able to effectively communicate and interact with supervisors, elected officials, employees, members of the general public, media and all other groups involved in the activities of the City as they relate to the department.
- Ability to research, design and assemble layouts for presentations, programs and publications. Ability to prepare written reports in a concise, clear and effective manner.
- Have good organizational, human relations, and technical skills. Is able to use independent judgment and discretion in the handling of emergency situations, determining and deciding upon procedures to be implemented, setting priorities, maintaining standards, and resolving problems.
- Has the ability to comprehend, interpret, and apply regulations, procedures, and related information. Has comprehensive knowledge of the terminology, principles and methods utilized within the department.
- Has the mathematical ability to handle required calculations.
- Is knowledgeable and proficient with computers. Ability to read, understand and interpret reports, related materials and performs related work as required.
- Established work habits of initiative, Independent judgment and creativity.
The City of Atlanta an Equal Opportunity Employer.