Operates radio, telephone and related communications equipment to receive and relay information; prioritizes and assigns appropriate resources for emergency and non-emergency service calls for assigned area of responsibility. Maintains logs and records of all activity as required. Provides support information to police officers, fire units, the general public and other public safety agencies as required.
· Answers telephone requests and/or radio calls for service. Assesses the nature of the request, prioritizes requests/public safety needs and assigns/alerts appropriate resources.
· Operates automated data systems to retrieve information from local, state and federal data centers.
· Maintains logs and records all requests for service as required for assigned area of responsibility.
· Monitors status and locations of all emergency response equipment and building security systems; determines readiness to respond to additional calls.
· Requests additional resources and mutual aid from other agencies, cities, sources, etc., as needed.
· Maintains and updates logs and other information such as street index, motor vehicle repossession log, emergency resources files, etc., as required for assigned area of responsibility.
· Performs all other related duties as assigned.
You Must be US Citizen
High School Diploma or GED
1 year of experience in a position with high public contact requiring decision making and problem solving under stressful conditions.
REQUIRED SKILLS & ABILITIES
· Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
· Ability to follow instructions, safety practices and standard operating procedures in performing assigned tasks.
· Ability to be punctual and attend work regularly
· Ability to work effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or job type.
· Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
· Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
· Ability to learn and comply with Standard Operating Procedures, departmental policies and procedures.
· Ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of people under stressful conditions.
· Ability to react quickly, calmly, and with good judgment in emergency situations.
· Ability to speak clearly and understand telephone transmissions.
· Ability to coordinate a number of activities at the same time under intense stress.
· Ability to read and interpret color data displays on terminal screens and printouts.
· Ability to work a variety of shifts as assigned, including days, evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays.
· Ability to hear and comprehend simultaneous Radio voice transmissions.
· Skill in use of personal computer including Microsoft Office, Open Office or similar word processing programs, e-mail and the Internet.
BACKGROUND STANDARDS - Please read
· Must submit to and pass a pre-employment drug test and hearing test.
· Must submit to and pass Denco 911 CritiCall test.
· Must complete training requirements for a telecommunicator as required by TCLEOSE (Sec. 6, Ch. 546, Art 4413 (29aa), Vernon’s TX Civil Statues) within one year from date of hiring.
· Must complete Emergency Medical Dispatcher Certification within one year from date of hiring.
· Must pass background checks including Fingerprint check, polygraph & psychological exam.
· Must be 18 years of age.