Responsible for receiving and prioritizing all emergency and non-emergency requests for service and for notifying appropriate personnel and equipment in a manner consistent with the mission and goals of the City of St. Louis Park Police Department. Represent the City and any agencies under contract for dispatching services in a courteous, helpful, and professional manner. This position is subject to a variety of shifts and schedules covering a 365-day-a-year, 24-hour-a day operation, and includes occasional required overtime.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Receive and process incoming emergency and non-emergency requests for service using various communications equipment including but not limited to: radio, telephone, mobile communication devices, teletype, etc.
2. Prioritize requests for service and utilize call-stacking technique when appropriate to accommodate community-orientated policing philosophy.
3. Dispatch appropriate personnel and equipment based on type and location of call. Enter necessary information into computer aided dispatch system.
4. Monitor radio activities, MCD, and other communication systems. Provide supplemental information, personnel and equipment as necessary.
5. Utilize NCIC/CJIS computer terminal to exchange information with other law enforcement agencies and to verify driver and motor vehicle information, criminal histories, and stolen and recovered property. Accurately enter data in a timely manner.
6. Understand and apply knowledge of various computer systems and applications. Utilize and maintain resources and referral data.
7. Respond to questions and complaints from the public in a courteous and professional manner, utilize problem-solving skills as needed. Refer callers and visitors to appropriate personnel as needed.
8. Serve as department receptionist after office hours.
9. Promptly notify supervisor(s) of emergency calls or other matters requiring their attention.
10. Monitor building alarm and security systems
11. Search prisoners and monitor jail cells as needed.
12. Maintain and care for communications and recording equipment and immediately report malfunctions to supervisor. Keep communications center clean and orderly.
13. Produce and maintain records relevant to the daily operations of the communications center.
14. Participate and assist in training or additional activities beyond the normal dispatch functions.
15. Provide the department with technical assistance as needed or assigned.
16. Demonstrate commitment to teamwork when working with other police department members and various City department personnel and other outside agencies.
17. Adhere to operational procedures of the City of St. Louis Park Police and Fire departments as well as any other agencies under contract for dispatching services.
18. Perform multiple tasks in an efficient and effective manner.
19. Performs other duties as assigned or apparent.
- High school degree or equivalent
- Minimum 6 months active dispatching or call-taking for police, fire, and ambulance activities strongly preferred.
- Read, write and speak English clearly and fluently
- Must posses hearing and vision sufficient to perform the job requirements, including but not limited to the ability to monitor a wide range of audio levels occurring simultaneously from different sources, ability to wear a communications headset, ability to visually monitor wall mounted display screens at a distance of 10 feet, normal color vision, ability to see and discern flashing lights of different colors and differing flash rates
- Ability to work at a computer workstation for extended periods of time
- Ability to work a variety of shifts and schedules including weekends and holidays, as the schedule requires.
- Ability to stay late or come in early on short notice to fill unscheduled absences.
- 40 wpm typing
- Experience working with the public in person or via telephone
- Experience using a personal computer/equipment
- Knowledge of geographical patrol boundaries
- Ability to prioritize and produce high quality, accurate work and perform tasks simultaneously
- Ability to assess problems and situations, anticipate needs and evaluate alternatives
- Ability to gather pertinent information quickly and accurately
- Ability to remain calm and effectively gather information from callers who may be angry, hysterical or verbally abusive
- Must be able to pass and maintain CJIS Certification prior to the end of the probationary period
- Must act in decisive manner using sound judgment
- 2 year college degree and/or bachelor's degree
- 800MHz radio system familiarity
- LOGIS CAD experience
- Current CJIS Certification
- First responder, EMT, or advanced first aid
City of St. Louis Park, MN - 14 months ago