Depending on assignment, may perform a variety of routine, manual, custodial, or servicing tasks; operate non-CDL vehicles and light construction or maintenance equipment. Perform tasks in maintenance of City streets, sidewalks, storm sewers, sanitary sewers, traffic, wastewater treatment plant, parks, park buildings, public restrooms, landscape and trees, minor carpentry and painting, irrigation and horticulture. Positions are 40 hour per week positions that last between 2 to 6 months in duration. Days and hours vary depending on assignment.
Valid driver's license, or ability to obtain by date of hire; must pass driving records check and if hired, maintain a driving record that meets the City's standard.
PASS A PHYSICAL EXAM - including drug screen.
Must be at least 18 years of age.
To apply for these positions, please contact:
270 Oakway Center
Eugene, OR 97401
Although applications will be accepted for several months, hiring supervisors will be reviewing the pool as needed. If you are interested in these positions, please contact Quantum Recruiters as soon as possible to submit your application.
Examples of Duties Performed - Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
Performs manual tasks in the maintenance, sanitation, and/or repair of City streets, sewers, grounds, buildings, structures and equipment.
May assist in performing minor carpentry, maintenance activities involving asphalt ,
crack sealing and concrete repair or preventive work, painting, and other related tasks.
May assist in leaf collection program.
May operate non-CDL vehicles and other light equipment; uses chainsaws, power and hand tools.
May perform custodial duties, such as sweeping, cleaning and sanitizing restrooms, litter pick-up, emptying trash cans, and other related manual tasks.
May assist in cleaning illegal campsites and graffiti removal.
May assist in watering, mulching, staking, and pruning trees.
May perform grounds-keeping duties that includes the operation of landscape, turf, and irrigation tools and equipment.
May assist with a variety of task in natural areas, including ridgeline, waterway, or wetland maintenance and restoration work, trail work, and the removal of invasive vegetation.
May erect street and traffic signs; may maintain and paint pavement legends.
May assist in maintenance and construction of traffic signals and street lighting.
May handle sewage equipment and clean tankage that contains sewage.
May place signs, cones, high-level warnings, and/or barricades for safe control of traffic. (Traffic Control Flagger Certification may be required)
May lay tile or pipe; may place and set manholes or standpipe.
May perform easement work during maintenance of sanitary sewers.
May perform smoke testing of sanitary sewers.
Maintains daily work records.
May work in confined spaces.
May assist in the performance of carpentry, plumbing, and painting.
May operate and maintain hand tools, power equipment, and other light equipment.
May assist in maintaining tools and minor equipment.
May perform customer service in providing information to the public.
Supports and respects diversity in the workplace.
Performs related duties as assigned.
Some experience in general maintenance and/or parks maintenance desirable.
License or Certificate
Must be 18 years of age and hold a valid driver’s license. Must pass driving records check and, if hired, maintain a driving record that meets the City’s standard.
Valid ODOT Traffic Control Flagger card desirable for some positions.
All positions are subject to a criminal background check and pre-employment physical that includes a drug screen.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
• Standing/walking: Constant standing, in combination with walking, mostly outdoors while performing general maintenance duties, up to 2-5 miles per day.
• Sitting: Seldom sitting, while riding in vehicle or working at ground level. Some assignments may require frequent-constant sitting while operating equipment.
• Lift/carry: Constant lifting 5-35 lbs.; debris, tools, equipment. Occasionally lifting, 50-90 lbs.; tools, equipment, materials. Seldom; lifting up to 100+ lbs manhole covers, grates and heavy materials using lift/drag technique. Carrying 5-50 lbs. usually short distances, up to 50 ft.
• Push/pull: Frequently, using both hands/arms in moving equipment, dragging hoses, or materials, using and operating hand/power tools & equipment, exerting a force of 10-75 lbs.
• Climbing: Occasionally-frequently; on ladders 3-40 ft., stairs, up/down steep sometimes slippery terrain, on/off vehicle depending on assigned tasks.
• Bending/twisting: Constantly-frequently; at waist/knees/neck while working in a variety of positions performing manual labor duties.
• Kneeling/crouching/crawling: Occasionally-Frequently, while performing repair and maintenance duties at ground/street level. May work in ditches, storm drains. Extensive kneeling while pouring/finishing concrete
• Hands/arms: Constant use of hands/arms reaching/grasping/fingering/power gripping/handling while performing labor tasks i.e., shoveling. Requires frequent working with arms extended using tools and occasional overhead reaching using tools.
• Sight: Constant use of sight abilities, including hand/eye coordination, peripheral & depth perception while operating tools and equipment.
• Speech/hearing: Constantly, in communicating with coworkers and maintaining safe work environment.
• Other physical demands: Working in extremely hot conditions using hot materials, 400 degrees F. while making road/asphalt repairs. Use of feet to exert force while shoveling, moving equipment or operating tools/equipment. Subject to vibration using tools: jackhammer, blowers, chainsaws, and gas-powered trimmers.
• Mental demands: Constant mental attention while using hand or power tools, must be constantly observant while working in street right of way. Must be able to work at multiple tasks with frequent interruptions and complete all tasks in a timely manner .
• Location: Mostly outdoors in field environment with exposure to all typical weather conditions, including travel from site to site.
• Hazards: Exposure to sharp objects, burns from hot materials, pinch points, moving objects/vehicles in right of way, dust/noise/vibration, working at heights, biological hazards from sewers, grease/smoke/ material fumes/gasses, cramped quarters, inclement weather conditions, slippery surfaces, electrical shock, toxic/caustic chemicals and animal/insect bites.
• Equipment Used: City vehicles, ladders, variety of hand/power tools, measuring and testing equipment, variety of specialized equipment associated with the construction and maintenance trades.
• Safety Equipment: Hard hat, safety glasses/goggles, steel-toed safety shoes, hearing protection, gloves, dust mask, respirator, SCBA as required, rubber boots, seat belts and other PPE as required.
City of Eugene, OR - 2 years ago