Under direct supervision of the Public Works Superintendent, performs routine and repetitive task to construct, maintain and repair the City streets, roads, bridges, medians, right of ways, gutters, curbs, sidewalks and other public areas within the City. Also performs tasks to construct, repair, and maintain the City's water distribution, wastewater collection systems, and other water and sewer utility operations.
Examples of Duties:
- Cleans, repairs, and maintains roads, bridges, medians, right of ways, curbs, gutters, sidewalks, and other public areas within the City. Constructs, maintains and replaces water or sewer mains and/or service lines; inspects, diagnoses, and repairs failures in water and sewer mains; builds and adjusts manholes and clean-outs; installs and repairs fire hydrants and valves; prepares trenches; and rods and cleans sewer lines.
- Performs routine and repetitive physical strenuous tasks such as working on laydown machine spreading asphalt; handwork on hot asphalt as it is poured; loading and unloading trucks; laying pipelines and repairing manholes; patching pot holes and overlaying of streets; sealing cracks in asphalt and concrete; reading grades and setting grade stakes; assisting in surveying; cutting brush, trees; mowing and weed-eating high grass and weeds; and maintaining, cleaning around street intersections, medians; installing and repairing street and traffic signs.
- Disassembles, cleans, repairs, replaces, and test defective or worn parts on water meters.
- Operates, repairs, and maintains various equipment, vehicles, and tools such as tractors, mowers, front end aback end loaders, heavy trenchers, street sweepers, bucket trucks, augers, maintainers, blades, jackhammers, skill saws; drills; bolt cutters; pothole patchers, rollers, dump trucks, motor graders, 1 ton to 5 ton vehicles, etc.
- Maintains water leaks and sewer lines; installs and changes water meters; and performs other water distribution, and collection tasks.
- Conducts daily inspections and preventative maintenance measures of vehicles, equipments, and tools such as washing, checking safe and proper operation, and servicing; checking fluid levels, lubrication point check, tire pressure check, cleaning filters and screens, cleaning of wind shields; inspects to insure road worthiness by checking the operation and presence of all lights, horns, braking systems, wipers, road hazard equipment, securing loads and other items required by the Dept. of Transportation before allowing equipment onto public roads.
- Completes assignment work orders for each task performed.
- Utilizes proper safety techniques when working in close proximity to high speed vehicle traffic areas; along medians, right of ways, etc.
- Identifies and informs supervisor of potential hazards, liability exposures, problem areas, public inquiries of the general public, and the status of work activities.
- Conducts daily inspections and preventative maintenance measures of vehicles, equipments, and tools such as washing, checking safe and proper operation, and servicing.
- Adheres to departmental, personnel, and safety rules and regulations.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Must have knowledge of installation of concrete and asphalt materials used in street maintenance and skills in operating heavy to light construction equipment, vehicles, small power tools and equipment in a safe and proper manner. Must be able to exercise good judgment; make competent decisions; handle multiple projects; meet deadlines; and work well under pressure and stress. A High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) is required. One year performing street maintenance, repair or construction work experience and light to heavy construction equipment operation, listed herein, experience preferred. Two years of water distribution and/or wastewater collection maintenance experience is required. Must hold a current class “D” Water Distribution License from TCEQ; Class “C” Water Distribution License preferred, or the ability to obtain within first year of employment. Must have a valid Texas class "C" Driver's License and driving record.
To perform the essential functions of the job, must be able to talk, read, see, walk, and hear; operate a survey level, record and interpret survey information; have good hand/foot/eye coordination to operate and repair equipment and vehicles; follow oral and written directives; work well under pressure and stress; handle multiple tasks; prioritize and organize work assignments; perform strenuous physical activities to include, exerting up to 100 lbs of pressure, lifting, pushing, pulling, and carrying heavy supplies and inspection and construction equipment several times a day; able to shovel, crawl, bend, kneel, dig holes for several hours per day, climb on and off equipment, operate vibrating equipment, work indoors, underground, outdoors, in confined spaces, in pipes, culverts, manholes and trenches, on level, slippery, sloping, unstable and muddy terrain, and under constantly noisy conditions; and work in adverse environmental conditions to include inclement weather and hazardous conditions including mechanical, electrical, fume odor, dust/mist, chemical, and toxic waste hazards and other solid waste substances and exposure to insects, etc. Able to maintain an effective and pleasant working relationship with employees, contractors, and the general public. Must be able to work extensive hours, as needed.