Title: Public Information Officer
Department: Customer Service, Marketing & Public Affairs
Post Date: 11/21/2012
Close Date: 12/05/2012
Hay Point Evaluation: 466
2012 Salary Range: Minimum: $59,860/Midpoint: $74,825
Position Classification: Safety Sensitive
Reports To: Manager - Public Information Office
This is a Non-Represented Position.
Please note that this position has been designated as a Policy Maker pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics. As such, you will be required to complete a Financial Disclosure Statement that will be provided to you by the New York State Joint Commission on Public Ethics.
This position is responsible to coordinate communication to customers and/or employees regarding train service information to ensure our customers receive accurate and timely information regarding service disruptions, delays or any other circumstances that may affect their commute.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
Continually obtain new information as incident/disruption unfolds and ensure same is provided through all avenues of communication, including social media.
- Monitor LIRR train service via the movement bureau and coordinate information with Transportation liaison in a timely and accurate manner. Ensure customer announcements are accurately communicated to customers via e-mail pages, terminal message boards, posted service alert messages on the LIRR's website and announcements.
Maintain oversight and final approval for information communicated to customers and employees via e-mail to Ushers and customers, service alert postings on LIRR's website, Penn Station message boards, Movement Bureau Public Address announcements. Responsible to continually obtain updated information on all customer related activities and maintain up-to-date communication with customers.
- Provide approved script for Transportation employees to use for public address announcements at stations. Ensure public announcements concerning train service disruptions, delays, or any other changes affecting the customers are properly and appropriately prepared to ensure our customers are accurately informed to get to their desired destinations.
- Liaison with the Movement Bureau. Maintain constant communication with Transportation Managers, and Chief Train Dispatcher to obtain current and accurate information on incidents or service disruptions.
- Handle calls to provide current, updated information to public traffic reporting services, issue customer e-mail notifications in a timely manner.
- Record, review, and compile daily electronic media reports and compile clipped transportation-related news articles from daily newspapers each day to create a corporate database of historical press information. Provide compiled clipped newspaper articles for assembling the daily clips and compiled recorded electronic news coverage daily for review by senior managers and for other possible dissemination.
- Research and write press releases, answer written customer correspondence and customer e-mails.
- Promote safe work practices and provide safe working conditions. Ensure a safe working environment and adherence to guidelines of company safety policies and procedures. Lead by example.
- All other duties at the request of Senior Management.
- Bachelor's Degree in English, Communications or Journalism. Demonstrated, directly related, equivalent experience and education may be considered in lieu of the degree, subject to approval.
- Must have prior media relations experience preferably in an operations environment.
- Must possess the ability to demonstrate competency in using personal computers in a Microsoft Windows Environment.
- Must possess multi-tasking skills with ability to effectively handle multiple issues, events, circumstances simultaneously.
- Must have effective organization, administrative, logical thinking, analytical, problem solving, appropriate judgement, and decision making skills.
- Must have the ability to demonstrate effective communication skills in person and via electronic media under stress/emergency situations.
- Must have effective supervisory and leadership skills.
- Must have flexibility and adaptability skills with ability to work various hours (24/7), including days, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Pay,Benefits, & Work Schedule
- Prior customer service experience in a high-pressure, high-volume environment with ability to deal with customers in a courteous, professional, and tactful manner.
- Experience directly responding to customer complaints, issues, and problems arising from service disruptions or other service emergencies.
We offer competitive salaries and an excellent, comprehensive benefits package, including:
- Full Medical Coverage
- Dental Coverage
- Vision Care
- Life Insurance
- Comprehensive Sick Leave Benefits
- Deferred Compensation
- Vacation/Personal Leave Days
- Transportation Pass Privileges
- Tuition Assistance Reimbursement
- Pension Plan
- In-house training seminars
In addition to meeting the minimum requirements of the position, the selection process may include, but is not limited to, a pre-screening assessment (i.e. physical, written and/ or practical evaluation) and interview. Candidates forfeit further consideration in the process if they fail to participate in any step of the process when scheduled. Make up dates/times will not be given. In addition, LIRR employee applicants must be in their current position for the 12 months immediately preceding the close date of this posting and must possess a satisfactory work history, including attendance and discipline record. Not all qualified applicants are guaranteed an interview due to the competitive selection process. A background investigation, medical examination and safety sensitive drug/alcohol test may also be required.
How To Apply
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied on line for other positions, enter your User Name and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a User Name and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
All LIRR employees must go to https://portal.mtabsc.info/psp/PXPRD/EXTRANET/PAEXT/h/?tab=DEFAULT, sign in using your BSC ID and navigate to Job Listings (Internal).
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA HQ holidays), 8:30am -5:00pm.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Long Island Rail Road is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse workforce. As such, we encourage applicants from women and members of minority groups.