The Production Services Group Leader position combines production and supervision responsibilities. In addition to a production leadership role, the Group Leader provides supervision of the Production Services staff, including but not limited to training and coaching, staff recognition, promotions, performance appraisals, disciplinary actions, and enforcement of company policies. This position is responsible for superior customer service and quality assurance for journal and book production services.
Job Duties / Responsibilities:
Contribute actively to company and department goals to help ensure the success of all customer accounts within the group.
Fulfill Production Services Specialist responsibilities on select accounts. This includes but is not limited to copyediting oversight, article and issue file preparations, database maintenance, vendor compliance with quality and schedules, issue release procedures, complete and accurate file deliveries, and effective communication with all parties involved in production process.
Maintain Group awareness of emerging STM market changes and trends.
Develop and sustain Group cohesion via regular Group meetings and superior communications.
Cultivate and maintain strong customer and vendor relationships.
Oversee all Group production and services and provide feedback as necessary.
Collaborate with other company management and leadership to clarify needs and refine processes for maximum efficiency.
Correspond proactively with authors, customers, vendors, printers and online providers regarding schedules, special instructions and job status. Help resolve all issues raised by account team.
Maintain pertinent internal and customer databases and prepare status and WIP production reports for customers, Sales, Management, etc., as required.
Monitor daily flow of work and assist in prioritizing staff workloads.
Provide assistance to staff with challenges beyond their control or expertise.
Ensure complete and accurate print and online production at all workflow stages; resolve post-release concerns with customers, vendors, printers and online providers.
Establish and maintain complete procedural documentation and contribute to ongoing workflow refinements.
Back up Production Services Specialists (or delegate and follow up on such) in cases of absence.
Coordinate and monitor new employee training as well as Group meetings to update/inform staff of changes and clarifications.
Conduct annual staff performance reviews and handle disciplinary matters.
Monitor and adjust personnel schedules to ensure work requirements are met (i.e., vacation and personal day requests, Wintrak, etc.).
Apprise Manager of all significant personnel concerns and changes.
Manage special customer projects and new initiatives as required.
Other projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, or minimum of 5 years customer service and editorial/composition/publishing experience.
- Successful supervisory experience desired.
- Outstanding customer service skills with ability to troubleshoot challenges and resolve conflict in a professional manner.
- Excellent organization and communication (verbal and writing) skills. Professional phone, email and multi-tasking skills; attentive to fine detail.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and meet deadlines.
- Cooperative with other departments and personnel, and able to maintain positive, successful relationships with customers and global partners.
- Proficient with computer use, including keyboarding, file management, databases, and MS applications.
- Occasional travel required.
The Sheridan Group
- 2 years ago - save job
According to The Sheridan Group, it's printing that is mightier than the sword. Through its six specialized printing businesses, The...