Performs a variety of statutory compliance duties related to the development, oversight and monitoring of contracts as well as solicitations. On a county-wide basis, with minimal supervision, evaluates and monitors complex contract performance, compliance and contractual obligations. Acts as liaison between project managers, department heads, multiple outside agencies, other county staff, and the community as required. Responds to inquiries regarding contact obligations, renewals or revisions. Analyzes data and prepares reports. Maintains and manages contracts databases and files.
This is third in a Purchasing series of four job classifications. It is distinguished by greater organization independence of action and decision-making and by the little supervision of monitoring, evaluating complex contracts functions, as well as the additional experience required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for procuring low risk/low dollar Information Technology good and services, and will work in conjunction with the Technology Purchasing Team to build upon the effective and efficient acquisition of these products.
- Plans and implements a solicitation and contract compliance program for complex contracts. Interprets policies, rules, codes or regulations to ensure statutory compliance.
- Works closely with elected and appointed officials, project managers, department heads, multiple outside agencies, and other county staff, to develop solicitations and subsequent contracts to meet operational needs; establishes procedures for the monitoring of contract compliance issues, and to ensure their needs and interests are satisfied. Prepares related solicitation, contract award, and contract compliance correspondence. Facilitates dispute resolutions between contractors, vendors, consultants, and associated County department staff. Attends a variety of meetings to administer contract and communicate contract status and expectations.
- Develops, implements and maintains the county-wide system to monitor complex solicitations, contracts and agreements. Maintains, and manages county-wide solicitations and contracts databases and files.
- Negotiates contracts, contract renewals, amendments, and plan changes. Resolves audit exceptions and develops corrective actions for deviations.
- Coordinates and conducts the risk assessments to determine requirements for the maximum service and monitoring of the contracts.
- Monitors complex contract performance by conducting on-site visits; and examining complex billings, fiscal data, and eligibility determinations for compliance with contract and policies.
- Coordinates every phase of planning and development of procurements for assigned departments. Assists in the development of complex solicitations and contracts by formulating and proposing terms, conditions and specifications.
- Reviews and investigates non-compliance issues, writes situation summaries, recommends and presents solutions. Researches and aids in the resolution of complex contract issues.
- Analyzes data, prepares, distributes and presents solicitation and contract project status reports as required for Commissioner’s Court, projects managers, elected and appointed officials, department heads, multiple outside agencies, other county staff, and the general public.
- Represents Travis County in professional organizations serving on boards and committees as assigned. Develops solicitation and contract administration policies, procedures, standards and plans.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Procurement, Public Administration or a related field AND three (3) years of increasingly responsible experience Contract Administration, Procurement or Business Administration to which includes complex billing, contract issues and dealing with multiple outside agencies.
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
* Professional certification as a professional buyer or public purchasing officer by a national purchasing organization.
* IT computer, hardware and services with purchasing experience in a governmental environment.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements:
Possession of a valid Texas Driver’s License
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Generally accepted business and accounting practices.
- Contractual law and regulations and community policies, resources and structures.
- Principles and procedures of financial record keeping and reporting.
- Theory, principles and procedures of government purchasing.
- Asset management and government debt financing rules and regulation for projects.
- Theory, principles, practices, and methods of contract management.
- Principles and procedures of receivable management and file maintenance.
- Office procedures, computer equipment, databases, and related software applications. Report preparation and business letter writing.
- Perform contract negotiation, project coordination, and litigation of contracts.
- Both verbal and written communication.
- Resolve contract disputes.
- Interact effectively with all levels of management, employees, multiple outside agencies, and outside contractors.
- Exercise independent judgment under minimal supervision.
- Evaluate complex contracts and recommend future status. Interpret policies, procedures, codes, ordinances and regulations.
- Evaluate fiscal data for conformity and contract requirements.
- Develop complex solicitation documents to procure necessary goods and services.
- Negotiate features of a contract. Identify errors and recommend solutions/corrective measures.
- Read, analyze, and interpret common technical and professional journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the professional community.
- Write complex reports and business correspondence.
- Effectively present information to senior management and public groups. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental clientele, outside agencies, other county staff and officials, and the general public.
Work Environment & Other Information:
Physical requirements include lifting/carrying up to 25 pounds, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity, necessary to operate a computer, monitor, keyboard, printer, fax machine, copier, adding machine, typewriter and basic office equipment, vision to monitor, standing, sitting, walking, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, crouching, kneeling, pushing, pulling, reaching, driving, twisting, balancing, repetitive motion, client/customer contact, squatting to perform the essential functions.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday
Location: 700 Lavaca St., Austin
Department: Purchasing and Inventory Management
Criminal Background Check Required
Travis County - 18 months ago