Contribute. Grow. Lead…with OxyChem. Looking for a challenge? Desire to achieve your true potential? OxyChem is a growing, action-oriented, safety driven chemical manufacturing company continually striving to be the best in the business while staying focused on environmental protection. The secret to our success has and will continue to be our people.
Occidental Chemical Corporation (OxyChem) is a leading North American manufacturer of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) resins, chlorine and caustic soda – key building blocks for a variety of indispensable products such as plastics, pharmaceuticals and water treatment chemicals. Other OxyChem products include caustic potash, chlorinated organics, sodium silicates, chlorinated isocyanurates and calcium chloride. For every product it makes, OxyChem’s market position is No. 1 or No. 2 in the U.S.
In a fast-paced industry that demands precision, we create a supportive workplace where the safety and well-being of our employees are paramount. We are committed to rewarding top performers, offering very competitive pay and benefits, and providing tremendous career development opportunities. We are looking for an experienced and self-motivated individual to fill the position of Purchasing Agent with our chemical plant located in Niagara Falls, NY.
Essential Job Duties:
- Provide full purchasing support within Western New York Regional Purchasing, with responsibilities for Niagara Falls, NY; Niagara Falls, Ont; Petrolia, PA; Ludington, MI; and Pedricktown, NJ facilities.
- Specific duties include issuing purchasing orders, expediting orders, negotiations, bid preparations/evaluations, selection of suppliers, and providing after-hours and turnaround coverage.
- Purchase Maintenance, Repair and Operations (MRO) goods and services at the most favorable costs and terms consistent with all relevant factors such as quality and quantity in accordance with all corporate policies and procedures.
- Negotiate contracts and issue purchase orders maintaining competitive pricing and supporting the use of national strategic contracts. Work with the plants to ensure that strategic sourcing suppliers are fulfilling their obligations in supply of materials and services.
- Pre-qualify new and re-qualify existing contractors, while assuring full compliance with the OxyChem Contractor Management Program.
- Keep abreast of the current market for new products and services. Investigate potential new suppliers to determine their ability to furnish products or services.
- Develop and implement cost reduction programs consistent with overall corporate and regional business strategies.
- Responsible for reconciling past due orders, securing proof of delivery or reconciling goods receipts with each plant site.
- Resolve invoicing errors with suppliers in a timely manner.
- Monitor the performance of suppliers and address issues as expressed by plants serviced in the region.
- Bachelor's degree (Supply Chain, Engineering or Business Administration preferred), plus 3 to 5 years of purchasing experience
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both oral and written)
- Excellent time management and organization skills
Oxy is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
- Demonstrated ability to be a self-motivated and enthusiastic team player
- SAP experience preferred
- Advanced level of proficiency in PC applications and operating systems including Microsoft Office Products (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access and SharePoint)
Occidental Petroleum - 18 months ago
Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY) is an international oil and gas exploration and production company — one of the largest...