The Purser works at the primary direction of the Boat Manager and is responsible to the vessel Captain and the Vessel Programs Director. The Purser is responsible for the preparation, display and serving of all food and beverage, supply inventory management and replenishment, saleable item bank and reconciliation, high quality customer service and other supportive duties as needed to promote PWF's mission and boat operations.
- Ensures that each customer receives outstanding service by providing a friendly environment, which includes greeting and acknowledging every customer, maintaining solid product knowledge and all other aspects of customer service.
- Provides all food and beverage service, preparation and clean up.
- Manages vessel supplies.
- Conducts presentations with the aid of a PA system to promote PWF mission and merchandise sales.
- Reconciles daily boat bank.
- Assists with boat cleaning and maintenance to prepare vessel for next cruise.
- Addresses passenger's questions and comments.
- Must posses and demonstrate enthusiasm for marine research, conservation and education.
- Performs crew duties: handles lines, assists with docking, mooring and other.
- Performs daily maintenance as assigned by Captain and Boat Manager.
- Becomes knowledgeable about PWF's mission, goals, objectives, Company structure and programs to aid in answering customer questions, direct sales and promote activism.
- Maintains an awareness of all promotions and advertisements.
- Must be able to report to work and begin work by scheduled time.
Minimum Qualifications, Certifications and Requirements
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Maui County Bar Card Holder (within 1 month of hire)
- First Aid, CPR, Lifeguard, Oxygen and AED Certifications (within 3 months of hire).
- PWF's Marine Life and Marine Mammal Naturalist Certifications. (As provided by PWF)
- Compliance with PWF Substance Abuse Policy
- Ability to bend and safely lift up to 50lbs to a height of 3 feet and carry that amount 30 feet in distance.
- Physical ability to stand for extended periods with frequent bending and squatting, and to move about on a vessel at sea and to handle and perform all functions as set forth above.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this classification. It is not to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory, or all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job. Management has the right to add to, revise, or delete information in this description at any time.
- HS Diploma or GED, college science degree preferred.
- Experience in merchandise and program sales, inventory tracking and food service preferred.
- Proficient in basic mathematics.
- Must be dependable, friendly, enthusiastic, approachable, clean and organized.
- Ability to work early and long hours out of Ma'alaea and/or Lahaina harbors.
- Ability to take instructions, complete tasks, and apply constructive criticism
- Must be able to apply excellent and consistent customer service.
- Must be able to communicate accurately verbally and in writing.
- Able to learn and apply new skills quickly and proficiently.
- Able to assist guests who suffer from motion sickness
- Must be team spirited and cooperative in nature.
- Must be highly motivated, a self-starter and be proactive.
We offer competitive salary, great benefits and the opportunity to do meaningful work in a dynamic organization with lots of growth potential.
For qualifying employees these benefits may also be available:
Medical, Vision, Drug, Dental and Alternative Medicine Insurance
Retirement Savings Plan
Merchandise Discounts - Up to 40% off at our retail stores
And Many Other Great Incentives and Bonuses!
To apply please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or to: Human Resources, Pacific Whale Foundation, 300 Ma'alaea Road, Suite 211, Wailuku, HI 96793.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE!
Pacific Whale Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Salary: n/a. Date posted: 04/24/2012
Great Green Careers - 13 months ago
Pacific Whale Foundation
Great Green Careers
- 5 days ago
Pacific Whale Foundation is a tax-exempt, nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to protecting whales, dolphins, coral reefs and our pla...