Senior Engineering Manager - Quality Assurance
We have an exciting role for a Senior QA Manager for Amazon’s Advertising Program. Our team writes frameworks and tools to test systems that serve and respond to hundreds of billions of requests annually. We devise ways to test huge sets of ever-changing data and the machine learning algorithms that make decisions based on that data. We ensure a world-class customer experience for the millions that view Amazon Ads on our website, mobile devices, tablets and more!
Unlike traditional QA teams, our charter encompasses far more than product testing. Our teams of SDE-Ts design and implement our own automation frameworks and tools using a variety of technologies. We also develop a variety of tools and infrastructure projects, ranging from performance and latency test frameworks, test results persistence, results analysis and reporting, sophisticated metrics around testing, latency, customer quality feedback and more. There is a lot of creativity as the team looks for broad solutions that will work across a variety of services and products. Some of the team’s tools have even received patents!
Another unusual aspect of our team is the broad scope of how we define quality. While QA includes ensuring the products operate as designed, it also includes latency, performance and scalability, a large variety of non-deterministic testing to ensure that our catalog data quality is good and our decisions engines are making the best decisions, and the creation and maintenance of a robust platform for gathering, aggregating and reporting feedback from our customers. We are looking for a leader who will challenge himself and others to constantly come up with better solutions. We’re looking for someone who doesn’t just know how to solve problems, but who helps define the problems and direction, creates value, and pioneers new frontiers in Quality Assurance.
The QA Manager will own end-to-end software quality, including designing test frameworks, and tools for testing in QA and production environments, gathering a variety of data to support sophisticated quality metrics, and other quality related programs. The QA Manager will further support the business and development teams through the ownership of non-deterministic data quality and ad quality test tools. The successful candidate will quickly gain a deep knowledge of the products supported. We are looking for an experienced, innovative, and hands-on manager who can coordinate simultaneous test efforts across multiple development teams as well as put in place policies and processes which drive the quality of our software. The ideal candidate will have experience managing teams in startup environments as well as within more established companies, someone who can wear multiple hats and be strategic and tactical. This role is definitely not just a test manager role, but involves a whole new level of ownership of quality.
- Computer science or related field with 5+ years of relevant management experience and at least 3+ years of experience as a people manager leading teams. Significant OO design and coding experience is a must!
- Proven track record to creating and executing on highly effective quality processes
- Experience owning end-to-end software quality, including design and implementation of test frameworks, automated test creation and execution.
- Has in-depth knowledge of both UI and backend service test automation
- Is innovative, can simplify, and has relentlessly high standards
- Can juggle testing of multiple releases with multiple dependencies
- Able to handle an extremely fast pace while maintaining the highest quality standards
- Has experience and conviction around measures to quantify software quality.
- Can propose tradeoffs and provide risk assessment to stakeholders
- Maintains composure in the face of highly ambiguous environments and constant change
- Thinks big, has vision and is a vocal leader and can communicate on that vision to team members
- Advanced degree in computer science or related field with 7+ years of relevant experience and at least 5+ years of experience as a people manager leading teams of indivual contributor and leads.
- Is experienced with scrum
- Is experienced with designing tools and frameworks
- Experience with responsibility for teams of 6+ people.
- Experience with performance and scalability testing, latency testing a plus
- Deep understanding of system architecture and experience with large complex distributed transactional systems.
- Experience with a number of different programming languages and test automation technologies
Amazon.com - 12 months ago
Amazon.com is an American international multibillion dollar electronic commerce company with headquarters in Seattle, Washington, United...