JOB TITLE: Quality Assurance Manager
R EPORTS TO: Plant Manager
JOB PURPOSE : This position is responsible for ensuring the plant meets all food safety, regulatory, and quality requirements of GFSI, FDA, Homeland Security, WSDA, and the company’s customers and consumers.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND INFLUENCE :
- Manages all foundational Food Safety and Quality programs for Continental Mills’ Kent Dry Mix Plant.
- Partners with other plants’ Quality teams and corporate departments to set overall strategy, direction, and vision for Quality Assurance goals and standards.
- Provides effective Quality leadership both within the department and across other functional areas.
- Works closely with Production and Engineering managers and other plant leaders to ensure Quality department goals align with overall plant goals and objectives.
- Partners with Operations, Purchasing, Logistics, and R&D as appropriate to assure success of product commercialization and new equipment design projects.
- Leads the staff of the Quality Assurance Department, including staffing, performance management, delegation of work assignments, and project prioritization. Manages staffing levels and work assignments. Prioritizes work assignments based on departmental goals and long-term vision.
- Develops the skills and attributes of team members: sets expectations, tracks results, and manages accountability.
- Manages departmental work activities, including project management and delegation.
- Effectively manages compliance with company and department policies and procedures.
- Prepares for and facilitates FDA, WSDA, GFSI, and customer audits.
- Proactively identifies food safety risks and leads risk mitigation activities to reduce or eliminate risks.
- Leads cross-functional problem-solving teams to address chronic quality and high risk food safety issues.
- Develops department budget and manages budget performance.
- Collects, summarizes, and communicates quality performance data.
- Effectively represents the Quality department and Continental Mills to sales teams, customers, auditors, and regulatory inspectors.
- Investigates customer and consumer complaints, and identifies corrective actions to prevent reoccurrence.
- Leads plant-level coordination and communication in the event of a product recall.
- Models compliance with GMPs at all times.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES :
- Leadership of people, teams, and processes.
- Proficiency with software applications that support quality assurance management.
- Teamwork: ability to be an effective team member who fosters cross-functional collaboration.
- Strong analytical skills: able to extract and interpret data to drive decisions and priorities.
- High integrity.
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems and act decisively.
- Professional demeanor and strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Effective developer of people: a teacher, coach, and mentor.
- High energy and initiative: an assertive self-starter.
- Provide direct and indirect leadership of people, projects, and activities.
- Set expectations, track results, manage accountability, and develop people to higher levels of performance.
- Understand the balance of individual, customer and business needs.
- Manage multiple tasks and priorities.
- Maintain a high degree of detail orientation.
- Play a key role in a culture continuous improvement.
- Understand Continental Mills’ and the plant’s business and operations well enough to assume broader plant leadership responsibilities when needed.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE :
- B.S. Food Science/Technology or related science field.
- Prior experience managing the Quality function in a food manufacturing environment.
- Experience developing and maintaining quality systems.
- Prior experience with BRC or another GFSI standard.
- Experience in supervising, coaching, and training others.
THE POLICY OF CONTINENTAL MILLS IS TO RECRUIT, HIRE , TRAIN AND PROMOTE ALL PERSONS IN ALL JOB GROUPS IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE LAW, WITHOUT REGARD TO RACE , COLOR, RELIGION, SEX, AGE , MARTIAL STATUS, PRESENCE OF SENSORY, MENTAL OR PHYSICAL HANDICAP, VIETNAM VETERAN STATUS, NATIONAL ORIGIN, OR SEXUAL ORIENTATION.
Continental Mills - 5 months ago