PURPOSE To maintain product integrity and food safety within the plant. Implement all government directives, regulations, and policies on a plant-wide basis.
- Maintain product integrity and food safety within the plant.
- Run Quality Control area and delegate tasks within the area.
- Organize and train all people within the quality assurance area.
- Implement government mandates regarding quality control and food safety in all areas of the plant.
- Maintain effective communication channels between government and plant officials.
- Monitor all government regulations, programs, and policies regarding food safety both inside and out of the plant (FSIS, USDA, FDA, etc.).
- Keep employees focused on HACCP and GMP procedures.
- Track microbiological trends, sanitation program performance, and product shelf life within plant and communicate results to plant team members and corporate quality assurance.
- Create and write quality control programs to be implemented plant and company wide.
- Adhere to specific customer requests and specifications in reference to quality of products.
- Develop and organize different means of evaluating product quality and then develop better ways to produce products.
- Oversee all raw material claims and product/ingredient receiving.
- Knowledge, background and expertise in Case-ready beef and pork operations is critical. Areas of knowledge must include HACCP, specification adherence to incoming raw materials, brine mixing procedures, trimming, chilling, styling & packaging specs, packaging modified atmosphere characteristics, final box/package configuration and shelf-life.
- Evaluate sanitation and pest & rodent contractors performance to insure they are completing their jobs in a safe, effective and professional manner.
- Prepare implement and monitor standard operating procedures for each production area in the plant.
- Constantly review and update product quality control programs.
- Prepare assorted special projects regarding quality and food safety for the plant.
Conduct department meetings on a regular basis
- Work tasks fluctuate depending on the direction of government officials, plant conditions, and business objectives.
- Responsible for insuring that all areas of the plant are properly sanitized.
- Coordinate efforts implementing new products/process with respective parties (i.e. engineering, production, management, maintenance).
- Develop, maintain and implement any programs relating to customer, or 3 rd party requirements, to include leading audits and maintenance of BRC certification .
- Monitor, track and evaluate all SPC programs mandated relative to customer requirements or plant performance.
EXEMPT: JOB DESCRIPTION FORM (Cont’d )
- Work area may have slippery floors and can be very noisy.
- Temperature in work area varies from extreme cold to hot and humid.
- Employee will typically work 60 hours per week M-F with some Saturday work if necessary.
- B.S. in Animal Science, Meat Science, Food Science or related science discipline
- College experience beneficial to develop writing skills and animal science knowledge.
- Minimum 5-7 years experience in the quality control area
- HACCP certification
- Writing Skills
- Statistical/Math background
- Animal science knowledge
- Communication skills (written and verbal)
- People skills
- Basic computer skills
- Math skills
- Analytical skills
- Bilingual important, but not mandatory as long as translator is present.
JBS - 15 months ago